Types of financial aid

A nationally ranked liberal arts college can be affordable. From scholarships and grants to loans and student employment, we award multiple types of aid to qualifying students.

There are two main categories of aid: need-based and merit-based.

Need-based aid is calculated and awarded based on your completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Be sure to complete the FAFSA and enter Earlham’s code 001793 to be considered for this type of aid.

Merit-based aid is typically awarded in the form of scholarships. For many of our scholarships, no separate application is needed—we will award based on your application for admission.


Scholarships recognize your abilities or involvement in activities. Scholarship funds do not have to be paid back. You must notify Earlham of any outside scholarships you are receiving from local, corporate or other sources. Every student is considered for merit scholarships as well as talent and interest-based scholarships. You also can get a scholarship just for living within 150-miles of campus! Earlham also offers a variety of specialty scholarships.


Grants are typically need-based funds provided by the federal or state government. Earlham College also administers its own grant funds, thanks to our generous donors and alum. Grant funding does not have to be repaid. To be considered for grants, make sure to complete the FAFSA.

Learn more about grants

Learn more about the grants you may be eligible for:


Loans are funds provided by the federal government or financial institutions. Loans must be repaid once you graduate or if you withdraw or drop to less than half-time enrollment. Each academic year, you’ll need to submit the FAFSA to Earlham to be eligible for federal loans. Since the cost of your program paired with the other aid you receive affects your eligibility for any Federal Direct Loan, your eligibility for loans is individually determined by the Earlham College’s Office of Financial Aid.

Learn more about loans

Learn more about the loans you may apply for:

Student employment

Students who are financially eligible may receive aid via Federal College Work-Study (FCWS) or another work program as part of the financial aid award. If eligible, you have an opportunity to work on campus to help offset your college expenses. Student employment awards are need-based funds, so be sure to complete the FAFSA to be considered.

Learn more about student employment

What should I expect?

  • An average of 10 hours a week
  • Compensation at the current campus rate
  • A variety of jobs, giving you real-life experience

Filing for need-based aid

To be considered for financial aid, you must complete the FAFSA. U.S. citizens or permanent residents interested in being considered for need-based aid must complete the FAFSA electronically at fafsa.gov or through the myStudentAid mobile app and include Earlham’s school code 001793. International students interested in being considered for need-based aid must complete the ISFAA.

More information and resources

Earlham is a community like no other. Our students and faculty are partners in learning, seeking truth wherever truth may lead. Learn more about Earlham at the links below.

Next steps