Apartment Resident Assistants
Apartment resident assistants (ARAs) are an integral part of the Office of Residence Life. They are constantly in direct contact with students. Their main responsibility is to act as facilitators for the residence life community and to enhance the social, educational, intellectual and cultural development of each individual. The ARA communicates to students the core values, philosophies and policies of the Office of Residence Life and Earlham College and represents the Office of Residence Life as a role model.
The ARA position is one of the best opportunities a student can have while in college. No other type of position will give you the range of exposure to skill sets that are needed in a job search and future career after college. The ARA position provides real-life experiences in working with and helping other people, conflict resolution, team building and many others. Employers are seeking these skills!
APPLICATION MATERIALS + PROCESS
Applications for 2021-2022 will be available on Handshake beginning Tuesday, October 27, 2020. Please fill out the residence life student staff application to be considered for this position. Applicants must also complete a Reference Form and the Rehire Candidacy Assessment.
- Oct. 27 – 2021-22 Academic Year Applications available
- Oct. 27 – Information Session @ 5:30pm via Zoom
- Nov. 1 – Information Session @ 8 p.m., Olvey-Andis Hall 1st Floor Lobby
- Nov. 4 – Information Session @ 5:30 p.m., Mills Hall 1st Floor Lobby
- Nov. 8 – Information Session @ 3 p.m., Barrett Hall 1st Floor Lobby
- Nov. 12 – Information Session @ 8 p.m., Bundy Hall 1st Floor Lobby
- Nov. 16 – Information Session @ 8 p.m., Hoerner Hall 1st Floor Lobby
- Nov. 20 – Information Session @ Noon, Earlham Hall 1st Floor Lobby
- Mar. 1-19 – In person interviews
- Must be a full-time degree seeking student.
- Must be in good academic standing and have a 2.5 cumulative GPA to apply.
- Must maintain a 2.5 semester and cumulative GPA if selected.
- Must not be on any form of academic or social probation.
- Must have at least two semesters of on-campus living experience with at least one of these occurring at Earlham prior to beginning employment.
- Must not be concurrently serving as a co-President of the Earlham Student Government (ESG).
- Must be available at least two and a half weeks before classes begin for fall training and one week before classes begin for spring training.
- Must complete all responsibilities as outlined in the apartment assistant agreement and meet all expectations of professional staff members within the Office of Residence Life.
ARAs receive a:
- Single room in the three-bedroom apartment to which you are assigned, valued at $5,200.
- Stipend of $1,200 for the academic year which is distributed evenly by semester ($600 for fall and $600 for spring).
More information and resources
The Office of Residence Life works behind the scenes to keep you safe, healthy and fulfilled throughout your journey at Earlham College. Whether you are looking for academic advice, a shoulder to lean on, or opportunities for personal and professional growth, our team is here to support you through it all.