At Earlham College, we believe in the positive and long-lasting impact that on-campus living experience has on our students. We know that learning does not just occur in the classroom, which is why we require all of our students to live on-campus–to balance academic work with practical and social experience. Together, the Earlham College residential program complements the academic curriculum and provides structure for whole student development.
Our student staff team consists of over 50 compassionate, bright, responsible and out-going student leaders committed to creating inclusive and welcoming environments within our residential communities. These student peer leaders are excellent resources for new and continuing students connecting them to campus resources and events, student organizations and more.
Interested in joining our team? Check out our student staff opportunities!
To loft your bed, you must use Earlham College-approved lofting kits. Earlham offers a limited number of lofting kits throughout the academic year at no charge. These kits are available by reservation and then on a first-come, first-served basis. Loft kits may be reserved using the online Loft Reservation Form. After the deadline passes, the remaining loft kits will be available on a first-come, first-served basis when the halls open for new students.
Loft kits are available for pick-up from Warren Hall basement. Earlham College is not able to deliver loft kits to student spaces. Any reserved loft kits not picked up by this date will be offered to the next individual requesting a loft kit.
Loft kits must be returned to the College prior to moving out of the residence hall. If you’re not returning for the spring semester, you should make arrangements to return your loft kits by the end of fall semester. If leaving at the conclusion of the spring semester, you should make plans to return your loft kit to Warren Hall basement prior to the end of the semester. Exceptions may apply for approved late departures.
All lofts should be returned to the loft storage room in the basement of Warren Hall where they should be signed back in with a residence life staff member. Loft kits should not be left behind in student rooms, in residence hall hallways or stairwells, or in the hallway outside of the loft storage room. Loft kits that are not properly returned incur a $25 fee that will be added to the responsible student’s account.
If you no longer want your loft kit during a semester, you may either make arrangements with the area director of Warren, Wilson and Mills to return the loft kit during RA-on-call hours or complete a Loft Transfer form and transfer the loft to another student.
Earlham College provides, as space permits, storage space during the summer months or during an Earlham College-approved off-campus program. Those participating in a non-Earlham College off-campus program, graduating or taking a leave of absence do not qualify. Qualifying students can drop items off for storage two weeks prior to the start of departure and should collect items from storage two weeks after return or by the date specified upon drop-off.
Items dropped off must meet the following guidelines:
- Packaged in sturdy, sealed boxes or similar containers (e.g. plastic bins, luggage).
- Each box/container can be no larger than 18 in. x 18 in. x 24 in. (7,776 cubic inches) or equivalent dimensions.
- Each student is only allowed to store six (6) containers in storage at any given time.
There are several items not permitted in storage:
- Flammable substances (lighters/lighter fluid, gasoline).
- Unboxed/unsealed items (i.e. bicycles, furniture, rugs, duffel bags).
- Refrigerators (boxed or unboxed).
- Illegal items (drugs, paraphernalia).
- Request Your Tags and Forms. Submit an online request for storage tags and forms using the Storage Request Form. Storage tag requests are processed once daily, and students are notified by a member of the residence life team via email once their request has been processed. Requests are typically processed within one business day after they have been submitted.
- Collect your tags and forms. Visit the Office of Residence Life in Earlham Hall to pick up storage ID tags and forms. We provide six tags to attach to your storage items and individual forms for each tag that must be submitted when the storage item is dropped off. Those who do not have tags will not be able to store items on campus.
- Pack your storage items. You can pack up to six items for storage on-campus. These items must meet the guidelines below and must be stored in boxes, plastic bins/tubs, and/or suitcases. Residence life staff will not accept items for storage in any other form.
- Drop off your items for storage. Review the Residence Life website for drop off times. When arriving to drop off items for storage, item(s) must have the storage tags and forms provided by the Office of Residence Life.
On-campus storage space opens for student use in the days before each semester ends. Storage remains available throughout the close of the semester or until space has been filled. Contact the Office of Residence Life to arrange an appointment to pick up your items. General collection dates and times are posted at the beginning of each semester, detailing when staff will be available.
Students must collect their items by dates specified by the Office of Residence Life or dates/times dependent on the return from an off-campus program or academic break period. As a general rule, you should collect your items from storage within the first business week after you have returned from break or your off-campus program. Items that are left in campus storage past their collection dates are subject to removal and disposal.
The following residence halls have storage space available to students:
- Barrett Hall
- Mills Hall
- Olvey-Andis Hall
- Warren Hall
- Wilson Hall
More information and resources
The Office of Student Life works behind the scenes to keep you safe, healthy and fulfilled throughout your journey at Earlham College. Whether you are looking for academic advice, a shoulder to lean on, or opportunities for personal and professional growth, our team is here to support you through it all.