This policy describes Earlham’s commitment to providing all students, faculty, staff and guests with safe, accessible restroom and locker facilities.
It is a foundational Quaker belief that all persons have available to them an inner spirit of Truth, often known as the “Inner Light” or “God’s Voice Within.” To that end, this policy affirms that students, faculty, staff and guests of Earlham College are welcome to use facilities that correspond to their gender identity, regardless of their sex assigned at birth. Furthermore, Earlham shall provide gender inclusive restrooms in all classroom and administration buildings, where practicable. In accordance with Indiana Uniform Plumbing Code, Earlham shall also provide separate facilities for men and women.
- Gender identity – How individuals perceive themselves and what they call themselves. One’s gender identity can be the same or different from their sex assigned at birth.
- Gender inclusive restroom – Restrooms that may be used by a person of any gender or gender identity. These may also be referred to as “All-Gender” restrooms.
- Sex assigned at birth – The sex (male or female) assigned to a child at birth, most often based on the child’s external anatomy.
IV. Use of bathrooms, changing rooms, etc.
- Individuals are welcome to use the bathroom that aligns with their gender identity, regardless of their sex assigned at birth.
- Individuals are welcome to use the locker room that aligns with their gender identity, regardless of their sex assigned at birth.
- Individuals who need or desire increased privacy can be provided with a reasonable alternative changing area such as the use of a private area or single-stall restroom, if available.
- Any alternative arrangements requested by transgender and nonbinary individuals will be provided in a manner that maintains the confidentiality of their transgender and/or nonbinary status.
- In order to provide a convenient and safe environment to all, Earlham shall provide gender inclusive restrooms in all existing buildings that have restrooms, where practicable.
- Earlham will also include at least one gender inclusive restroom in all newly constructed or significantly renovated buildings.
- Earlham will ensure proper signage in each building and will publish a list of an up-to-date map showing all gender-inclusive facilities on campus.
- In order to be inclusive and welcoming to all, Earlham will provide receptacles for personal-hygiene waste in all single-user restrooms and in all of the stalls in multi-user restrooms, regardless of the gender designation of those restrooms.
V. Development and Review Process
- Review and Endorsement by Diversity Progress Committee: April 15, 2022
- Review by Cabinet: April 21, 2022
- Approved by President: April 21, 2022
- Effective immediately upon approval
Location of All-Gender Restrooms
Academic & Administrative
|Tyler Hall||1st Floor
|Landrum Bowling Center (LBC)||1st Floor|
|Dennis Hall||Basement level
|Center for Visual and Performing Arts||1st Floor|
|Earlham School of Religion||1st Floor|
|Lilly Library||Lower Level|
Athletics & Wellness
|Athletics and Wellness Center||Performance Gym, adjacent to Weber Pool entrance|
Residence Halls & Student Life
|Earlham Hall & Dining Hall||Office and Dining Spaces:
Main Floor, Student Life Offices
Dining HallResidential Spaces:
2nd Floor, 3rd Floor
|Bundy Hall||All Floors|
|Hoerner Hall||All Floors|
|Barrett Hall||All Floors|
|Olvey-Andis Hall||All Floors|
|Warren Hall||All Floors|
|Mills Hall||All Floors|
|Wilson Hall||All Floors|
|Campus Houses (College Avenue)||All dwellings|
|Campus Apartments||All dwellings|
|Associated division(s):||All Divisions, Offices, etc.|
|Associated audience(s):||Entire Campus Community|
|Associated container(s):||Safety and Security
Student Services / Campus Life