Earlham’s Oral History Project
In recognition of Earlham’s 175th anniversary, we’re partnering with Publishing Concepts Inc. (PCI) to complete an oral history project and an accompanying book, arriving in summer 2023 and available for purchase.
We’re asking friends—like you—to share their Earlham story for this project. Your voices will co-write the anthologized publication and will be archived for generations of new Earlhamites to view. This project isn’t an alumni directory; rather, it’s a nonfiction project that anthologizes your stories for future generations.
How do I share my story and order the book?
As soon as June 27, PCI will send you emails and postcards requesting to verify your contact information. Upon doing so, you’ll have the opportunity to share your Earlham story! A representative will be on the line to walk you through the process, confirm your consent, and help you preorder the book.
Phone lines are open for you to call!
What should I include in my Earlham story?
It’s all up to you … but here are some ideas for you to consider:
- What kinds of relationships did you make on campus?
- What were your favorite classes and how did they shape your life?
- Where did you go as a student? How was the world open to you?
- What kind of pranks did you pull and who were the folks who had your back?
- What activities did you enjoy as a student?
- How did it feel to be on campus? Where was your go-to spot?
- What surprised you at Earlham? What was a mystery or a new discovery?
- When you graduated, how did you feel? What did you do after college?
Frequently asked questions
We have partnered with PCI (also known as Publishing Concepts) to produce an oral history publication in honor of Earlham’s 175th Anniversary. PCI is a family-owned business based in Dallas, Texas, that has published directories for educational institutions and other organizations across the nation for over 100 years. This project allows us to hear about your personal experiences from your time at Earlham College and how the school helped shape your life since then. And, while we have you on the phone, we want to make sure your contact information is up to date.
This project is at no cost to you! However, you will get the chance to buy Earlham branded merchandise in honor of the 175th Anniversary. Merchandise packages vary in size and you can also purchase the printed version of the oral history project, arriving in summer 2023.
The book price begins at $170 for either the print or digital version and can be paid over a monthly period. To clarify, the print version will be massive! Our partnering company Publishing Concepts, Inc. has worked with many institutions and produced 800- to 900-page long oral histories. With your participation, our print version will be impressive!
Yes, in a few different ways:
- Updated information: This allows us to effectively communicate with and engage alumni.
- Legacy: Sharing and collecting stories preserves the history of Earlham College.
- Pride: Wearing apparel shows support and love for your alma mater and brings awareness to Earlham wherever you go.
- If you have received a postcard or an email with a telephone number, you may call the number to speak with a dedicated representative for the oral history project. The representative will verify all the information we have on file for you, make any updates where needed, and then ask you to share your story about your time at Earlham College. Your story will be recorded and the sound clip provided to Earlham College at the conclusion of the project.
- If you have received an email with an embedded link, you may go to the online site to review your information and submit a story.
PCI is committed to protecting your information. The names, addresses and information provided to PCI for the publication of this oral history project will be held confidentially by PCI, except to the extent that they are utilized in, or in the preparation of, the oral history project and except as required by court order or law. Upon completion of the project, PCI will redact personally identifiable information from any and all electronic files that we have supplied or were produced by PCI in connection with the production of the oral history project.
The only information that is included in the publication is your name, class year and degree, along with your story and photo. No contact information is printed. When you call to update your contact information, it will only be used to update your alumni record for Earlham’s Alumni Office. You may revoke consent for your story and/or photo to appear any time before December 23, 2022, by contacting PCI’s customer service helpdesk at 1-800-982-1590 or [email protected].
You can call back at any time before December 23, 2022, to share your story.
You will receive an email with a link to upload up to two photos plus captions.
If you have also purchased a book but do not have an email address on file, you will be sent a photo mailer to send physical photos in to be printed (note: photos will be returned if you include a stamped, self-addressed envelope).
The Earlham College oral history publication will be available for sale only to Earlham College alumni.
The total duration of the oral history project is about 12 months. Since we began the project in June 2022, the books will be distributed in June 2023.
Contact PCI’s customer service helpdesk at 1-800-982-1590 and they will take care of this for you.