Outdoor Education provides the Earlham community with gear rental for field trips and outdoor excursions locally, regionally, and further afield. Basic to more advanced equipment is available for rent to Earlham students, faculty, academic departments, and Wellness members. Lovingly referred to as the OGRE, the Outdoor Education Gear Room also has a wealth of guide books and other resources for planning both personal or group trips.
Hours and location
- Tuesday, Thursday, Friday: 10 a.m.-Noon
- Also available by appointment
The OGRE is on the second floor of Dennis in rooms 220 and 224 and is accessible from the Dennis parking lot. Enter campus from the D Street entrance. Turn right following signs for Dennis and then into the parking lot on the left.
Contact us at 765.983.1790 or at [email protected]
Items and policies
|Item||Daily Fee||Replacement Costs|
|Internal Frame Pack||$3.00||$250.00|
|Sleeping Bag + stuff sack (Summer/Winter)||$2.00||$150.00|
|Sleeping Bag Liner||$0.50||$30.00|
|Sleeping Pad (3/4 or Full – closed cell)||$0.50||$30.00|
|Sleep Pad (inflatable)||$1.00||$60.00|
|Whistle & Compass||$0.50||$15.00|
|2-Burner Stove (Coleman)||$3.00||$75.00|
|Backpacking Stove (MSR)||$2.00||$80.00|
|Water Jug or Bladder||$1.00||$20.00|
|First Aid Kit||$5.00||$35.00|
|Rock Climbing Shoes||$3.00||$80.00|
|Canoe (Flatwater only-Class I)||$8.00||$900.00|
|Disc golf set||$2.00||$25.00|
Eligibility for gear rental:
- Earlham (including ESR and Bethany) students, faculty, staff, Wellness Center members, and their immediate families are eligible to rent equipment from the Outdoor Education Gear Room (OGRE).
- Outdoor Ed staff may rent gear for free but must still complete reservation paperwork.
- Departments and clubs may rent equipment as a group.
- AWPEs and Academic Field Courses have priorities on rentals.
- Students, faculty, departments, and clubs must pay with an Earlham account number. This account will be charged the cost of the rental.
- Non-Earlham individuals (Wellness members or staff without an account number) must pay via cash or written check.
- Equipment is charged for the number of days used.
- Accounts are charged after gear is returned in case of damage or late fees.
Damage, Replacement and Late Return Policy:
- If gear is returned damaged, an additional fee will be assessed to cover repair and/or replacement if necessary.
- Equipment returned late is subject to a late fee, up to $5.00 per item per week.
More information and resources
The Office of Student Life works behind the scenes to keep you safe, healthy and fulfilled throughout your journey at Earlham College. Whether you are looking for academic advice, a shoulder to lean on, or opportunities for personal and professional growth, our team is here to support you through it all.