Come for the community, seek your spirituality, find your leading.
“Coming to Earlham College, I expected academic growth. In Quaker Fellows, my spiritual growth is also fostered - opening doors and setting me on paths I would not have otherwise found.”
— Laura Kelley '20
As you enter a new chapter of life, we encourage you to consider whether Quaker Fellows, a community-centered scholarship program, would contribute meaningfully to your Earlham experience. Quaker Fellows aims to uplift students, speak to their spirit, and encourage deeper understanding and application of Earlham’s fundamental values of (in no particular order) respect for persons, integrity, peace and justice, simplicity, and community.
Each year, a small cohort of entering students are invited to join a group of their upper-level peers in exploring three formation cores: spirituality, community and leadership. From their first day on campus, students will have an established community that they can turn to for support, growth, understanding and discernment.
Mindful of Quaker principles and practices, the program supports and enriches lives while engaging the whole person, preparing students for the world beyond Earlham. Students of Quaker Fellows fill a critical role in creating and sustaining community, fostering individual and collective spirituality, and assuming leadership roles within and outside of the program. A focus on these areas helps students to illuminate their strengths, interests and passions.
Participation in Quaker Fellows involves a time commitment of 40 hours per semester, 30 of which are programmed. The 10 hours remaining are chosen and completed individually. These additional hours encourage students to explore intersections between Quaker Fellows and their other interests and communities.
If you are interested in applying or have questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
30 hours of various programming are provided, including:
- One-on-one meetings at least once per semester with program leadership
- Weekly gatherings as a group and within cohorts
- Themed programming that inspires holistic growth at community and individual levels
- Experiential demonstration and application of Quaker practices and values. Among many other areas, this includes:
- Spiritual reflection
- Contributing to the wellbeing of the community through Quaker process
- Learning about Quakerism
- Discussing the integration of theology and practice
The program supports students’ growth in community, spirituality and leadership in a variety of ways, including:
- Building and strengthening healthy individual and community skills and practices
- Learning about Quakerism, sharing perspectives and exploring spiritual practices
- Providing opportunities to fulfill clerking/convening roles in a variety of settings
- Equipping students with an understanding of Quaker processes to apply within spiritual and secular contexts
- Complete 10 hours of activities in areas of interest that reflect program values
- Participate in regularly scheduled Quaker Fellows activities which are designed to equip students to assume increasing levels of leadership
- Engage with Quaker-based teachings, practices and processes
- Be an active member of a community of individuals striving to live life grounded in Spirit
Each Quaker Fellow will be awarded a $2,500 annual scholarship as well as an enhanced financial aid package.