This policy covers use of first name other than their legal first name, as well use of preferred personal pronouns.
II. Policy Statement
Earlham College promotes and strives to support an open and inclusive environment. As such, Earlham recognizes that faculty, staff, and students may choose to be identified with a name other than their legal name. Earlham will accommodate use of a chosen first name where possible. Additionally, Earlham will respect use of personal pronouns and gender identity. A preferred first name should be used wherever possible in the course of college business and education, except where the use of the legal name is necessitated by a legal requirement.
The College reserves the right to remove a chosen name if it contains inappropriate or offensive language.
III. Updating Your Information
Earlham faculty, staff, and current students can update their Preferred Name, Personal Pronoun, and Gender Identity through Banner Self-Service. Use the following instructions:
- Log into The Heart, https://theheart.earlham.edu/, using your Earlham ID
- Select Self-Service Log from the IT services section
- Select the Personal Information tab, then choose Bio/Demo Profile
Faculty and staff should also contact Human Resources.
IV. Where Your information Will Appear
Updated Preferred Name, Personal Pronoun, and Gender Identity will appear in the following:
- Faculty class lists and grade rosters
- Campus directory
- Moodle (learning management system)
- Earlham ID card (first ID card change is free)
- Athletic team rosters
- Commencement program (optional)
- email (optional)
Earlham College will continue to explore additional opportunities to incorporate chosen first names in other systems and will update this list as those opportunities are implemented.
V. Use of Legal Name
The legal name will be used when the College is legally required to use a legal name. Examples include, but are not limited to:
- Enrollment verification forms
- Financial aid documents
- Tuition billing records
- Payroll and tax documents
- Visa/immigration documents
VI. Changing Legal Name
Changes to a student’s legal last name can only be made in the Registrar’s office in person. Faculty and staff should contact Human Resources for change of legal name or legal sex change.
Students will need to submit the “Student Legal Information Change” form and provide a government-issued photo ID with the new name (driver’s license, state ID or passport) or the name change document (i.e., court document reflecting the name change, marriage certificate, social security card, etc.). The form can be found on the Registrar’s website.
VII. Legal Change of Sex
Students who wish to change their legal sex with the college may do so by submitting the “Student Legal Information Change” form and bringing the required documentation to the Registrar’s office.
Required documentation includes a government-issued photo ID bearing the revised sex (driver’s license, state ID or passport) as well as the court order documenting the sex change or an amended birth certificate with the revised sex.
If you are unable to come to the Registrar’s Office in person, you must submit the “Student Legal Information Change” Form and certified/notarized copies of the accompanying documents.
VIII. Process for Development and Approval
Approval by President: August 12, 2022
- Reviewed by Cabinet: August 10 – 11, 2022
- Final Amendments by the Office of the Registrar: August 9, 2022
- Reviewed and Amended by the Convener of the Diversity Progress Advisory Committee, Executive Director of Center for Global Education, and AVP for Strategic and Diversity Initiatives: July 18 – August 9, 2022
- Draft developed by the Office of the Registrar: July 18, 2022
August 24, 2023: “Preferred Name” amended to “Chosen Name”
Information Technology Services
|Associated division(s):||All Divisions, Offices, etc.|
|Associated audience(s):||Entire Campus Community|
|Associated container(s):||Human Resources / Employment
Student Services / Campus Life