Step Into Spring Challenge
Challenge yourself to walk 10,000 steps a day for 30 days! The Step Into Spring Challenge is open to all Earlham College students, staff, faculty, alumni and community members all around the world.
Register as an individual or as part of a two-to-five-person team. Keeping track of your steps, converting them from other activities as necessary, may even lead to winning a prize!
Step 1: Complete the participant registration anytime between March 22 and April 30. Individuals and teams can register here.
Step 2: Download the Step Tracker and edit the document each week to keep track of your steps. You can track your steps with an activity tracker such as a smartwatch or pedometer. If you would like a free pedometer, stop by the Athletics and Wellness Center front desk to pick one up (while supplies last).
Step 3: Start walking! The challenge begins April 1 and ends on April 30. Submit your updated tracker sheet each week with your name on the file to our box folder below!
Walking is an accessible form of exercise that is easy to do and does not require a gym. Making time for brief walking breaks throughout your day can provide numerous health benefits to include:
- Increased energy – going for a walk when you’re tired increases oxygenated blood flow and cortisol levels, the hormones responsible for boosting energy.
- Increased energy expenditure – the body burns approximately 100 calories of energy to walk 1 mile. So, increasing your level of physical activity can increase energy expenditure and potentially help you reduce body weight.
- Improved strength and function of the heart – your heart is a muscle and low-to-moderate intensity walking is a great way to strengthen your heart, helping it become more efficient at moving blood throughout your body!
- Increased focus – along with a boost in energy, walking is a great way to regain focus and stimulate your mind and body.
You can walk or complete an activity anywhere, anytime, Monday-Sunday, even at home! We encourage you to incorporate at least 30 minutes of activity into your daily work schedule and to walk in 5-minute intervals.
Those who complete the 30-day challenge will have walked a minimum of 300,000 steps (or roughly 120-150 miles). If you need help calculating your steps you can download this activity chart to help.
Challenge yourself to take a 30-minute walk with a colleague or friend at lunchtime or a 5-minute walk each hour—it all counts—whatever works for you!
Though it’s not mandatory to register as a team to participate in the challenge, we recommend it for motivational purposes!
- Teams are limited to 2-5 people per team. No more than 5 people per team.
- Be creative and name your team. It’s also a good idea to have a team captain that can keep everyone in check for their daily steps.
- Please put your team name on the Activity Tracking Sheet.
All participants will need to walk 10,000 steps AT MINIMUM 20 out of 30 days to be entered into a prize drawing at the conclusion of the challenge.
Participants must keep track of daily steps taken and submit their step tracker weekly through the Box submission form found at the bottom of this page.
Participation in Earlham College AWC activities, including the use of facilities and equipment, is completely voluntary. There are risks and hazards, minor and serious, associated with participation in fitness activities. Participants voluntarily assume all responsibility and risk of loss, damage, illness and/or injury to person or property associated with the participation in the Step into Spring Challenge.
Participants are advised to check with a medical professional before starting any exercise program.
Participants are encouraged to dress appropriately and drink water before, during and after exercise.