Earlham College offers shuttle service to the Dayton International Airport as students are leaving and returning from Fall Break, Winter Break and Spring Break. The shuttle runs on specific days leading up to and just following these breaks. Students are asked to register for a space on the shuttle. Shuttle service fees are charged to the student’s account and cover the expenses of the service.
Students must make a reservation in advance to ride the shuttle. Space is available on a first-come, first-served basis; students should register early to ensure space is available at their preferred shuttle time. Registrations must be submitted online. All dates and departure times are set by the company we contract our shuttle service through, and we are currently unable to offer shuttles on different dates or times than those listed or from locations other than the Dayton International Airport. Students who are in need of alternative dates, times, or locations for shuttles are encouraged to check out the Alternative Transportation Options listed at the bottom of this page.
Fall Break 2019
- Friday, November 22: 8 a.m. - 6 p.m. (every even hour)
- Saturday, November 23: 8 a.m., 10 a.m., and 12 p.m.
- Saturday, November 30: 8 a.m., 10 a.m., and 12 p.m.
- Sunday, December 1: 12 p.m. - 10 p.m. (every even hour)
Winter Break 2019-20
- Thursday, December 12: 8 a.m. - 6 p.m. (every even hour)
- Friday, December 13: 8 a.m. - 6 p.m. (every even hour)
- Sunday, January 12: 12 p.m. - 10 p.m. (every even hour)
- Monday, January 13: 8 a.m. - 6 p.m. (every even hour)
Spring Break 2020
- Friday, March 13: 8 a.m. - 6 p.m. (every even hour)
- Saturday, March 14: 8 a.m., 10 a.m., and 12 p.m.
- Saturday, March 21: 8 a.m., 10 a.m., and 12 p.m.
- Sunday, March 22: 12 p.m. - 10 p.m. (every even hour)
Service cost is $35 each way ($70 round trip) and the charge will be applied to student accounts. Late reservation requests that are granted will be charged an additional $15. Students can change, modify, or cancel their registration up to 72 hours prior to their shuttle trip. After that time, changes cannot be processed and students will be financially responsible for service charges. If someone needs to change their reservation, they should make a new reservation online. The old one will be overridden. If someone needs to cancel their reservation, they should email Residence Life (email@example.com).
Timing and Scheduling
Shuttle transportation during breaks is provided by a contracted, licensed and insured professional transportation company. Please select a shuttle time that is, at minimum, 3 hours in advance of your scheduled flight departure in order to allow flexibility in the event of rescheduling or adverse weather. Travel time between the College and Dayton International Airport is approximately 1 hour. In general, check-in times range from approximately 1 hour to the recommended 2 hours in order to complete security checks.
All dates and departure times are set by the company we contract our shuttle service through. Shuttle trips must have a minimum of 4 riders or will be subject to cancellation; if cancelled, students will be rescheduled to an earlier departure time in order to accommodate their flights. Students impacted by a shuttle reschedule will be contacted in advance and notified of the cancellation and reschedule. The first outbound shuttle of the day will not be canceled unless there are no riders pre-registered. Likewise, the final shuttle of a given day will not be cancelled unless there are no pre-registered riders. Remember, students must be pre-registered to use the service. Students not pre-registered will be charged an additional $15.
Departure Location for Shuttle
All outbound shuttles to Dayton depart from the north end of the Carpenter Hall parking lot.Please arrive at least 15 minutes prior to your shuttle departure time in order to allow for loading and timely departure. Shuttle Drivers depart on time in order to get riders to the airport on time. They cannot wait for late arrivals without putting other riders at risk of missing flights.
Returning Location for Shuttle
Shuttle riders returning to Earlham from Dayton can let our shuttle provider know they have arrived by proceeding to the "Welcome to the Miami Valley" kiosk near the main entrance to the airport terminal. Riders can pick up the phone at the kiosk and select "Charter Vans" which will connect them directly to the shuttle dispatch staff. Shuttle dispatch staff can also be contacted directly by calling (937) 898-4043.
Charter Van personnel will instruct riders on the loading location at that time. Remember, you must check in with shuttle staff so that the drivers are aware that you've arrived and are pre-registered to ride the shuttle. Students not pre-registered will be charged an additional $15.
Alternate Transportation Options
Students looking for transportation outside of the shuttles offered or to other regional destinations are encouraged to explore the options below.
- Old Richmond Taxi - 765-939-7311 (Will go to/from the airport, can call ahead to schedule pick-up in advance/get price quote)
- Depot Taxi - 765-209-2092 (Will go to/from the airport, can call ahead to schedule pick-up in advance/get price quote)
- www.hoosierride.com - Bus service with pick up at local gas station (1340 Industries Rd.) that goes to/from Indianapolis, Dayton, Chicago. Tickets can be purchased online.
- Send an email to our campus wide “miscellaneous” listserv. Students frequently send emails requesting rides here, and if someone is available to help or is headed that way, they are able to frequently able to help. The email address is Earlham_Miscel@earlham.edu.
- There is an Earlham Ride Board facebook group students can join and ask for rides in. It can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1433574100189438/.
- Utilize popular taxi/ride share apps like Uber and Lyft. Both apps are available for Apple and Android products and there are drivers in the Indianapolis/Dayton/Richmond areas for Uber and in the Indianapolis area for Lyft.
This list represents taxi and shuttle options frequently recommended by current students, and does not constitute an endorsement of any one service over another. If your company would like to be included on this list, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.