The Office of Residence Life recognizes the importance of a safe and secure living space that is conducive to learning and growth. To that end, the Office of Residence Life is committed to providing Earlham College students with the opportunity to change rooms should the need arise.
Below are several standards which guide our Residence Life staff as we process through room change requests:
- Traditionally-aged First Year students are required to live in Barrett Hall, Bundy Hall, or Hoerner Hall with other First-Year students. Returning and other non-first year students may not live in Barrett Hall or Bundy Hall.
- Students involved in a roommate dispute may be required to attempt mediation before a room change is approved.
- Students with an approved room change cannot begin his/her room change until the listed date on the approval form, and must have checked out of his/her old room by the specified date.
- To minimize academic disruption, room changes shall not occur during academic finals week. Exceptions in emergency situations can occur.
Room Change Request Online Form - Room change requests for the Fall 2019 semester will be processed beginning September 3, 2019.
Room Change Process
- Complete the online form. To begin the room change process, students should complete the online request form. Once completed, this online form will generate automated notice to your Area Director to facilitate the start of the process.
- Make an appointment. Once the student submits his/her online request form, the student's Area Director will reach out to the student within the next two business days to schedule an appointment. The student should check their Earlham College email for a note from the Area Director to coordinate a time to meet.
- Meet with your Area Director. At the scheduled meeting with the Area Director, the staff member will discuss with the student why he/she wants to move and available options for a potential room change. Area Director staff may request that roommate mediation be attempted before any room change if the student is requesting a room change based upon a poor relationship with their roommate. If your Area Director approves of your room change, he/she help you select a space available on-campus and confirm your room change with the Residence Life Main Office.
- Pick up your new key. Once the room change has been approved, the student can go to the Office of Residence Life to pick up their new room at the start of their room change period, which the student and the Area Director will discuss. Usually, room changes will begin one business day after the room change has been approved. The student will retain their old room key during the room change, so he/she can secure both of the spaces they are responsible for until the room change is complete.
- Check out of your old room. Once the student has completed moving their belongings, the student should complete a formal check-out with their RA (the RA of the floor from which the student is moving away). This formal check-out should be set up as an appointment ahead of time to ensure staff availability. The student must complete a check-out of his/her old room by the date specified during the room change approval process.