Hall Directors (HDs) are an integral part of the Office of Residence Life. They work directly with Area Directors as a member of the leadership team responsible for the development and implementation of a residential program that emphasizes that development of the whole person within the context of the core values, philosophies, and mission of Earlham College, the Division of Student Life, and the Office of Residence Life. HDs contribute to the development of safe and inclusive communities that are conducive to academic success within their assigned hall/area by assisting with the academic and personal development of residents, Resident Assistants (RAs), Peer Mentors (PMs), and House Convener(s); advising Community Action Boards; assisting with the administrative operations of their hall/area; and by promoting and supporting an inclusive environment in which differences are thoughtfully explored. Additionally, HDs are expected to know, communicate, role model, and uphold policies and community standards; effectively respond to and manage emergency/crisis situations via participation in a campus-wide duty rotation; work collaboratively with staff and students to build community; supervise and mentor staff; and role model responsible behaviors both on and off-campus.
Questions about the Hall Director Application and Selection Process can be directed to Residence Life, at 765-983-1317 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications for 2020-2021 will be available beginning Wednesday, November 6, 2019.
Important Process Dates
- Nov. 6 - 2020-21 Academic Year Applications available
- Dec. 1 - Priority application deadline for candidates who will be off-campus during Spring 2020
- Dec. 5-6 - In-person interviews for students going on an off-campus program Spring 2020
- Jan. 19 - 2020-21 Academic Year Applications close
- Jan. 31 - Intent to Return and Candidacy Assessment forms due
- TBD - In person interviews
- Must be a full-time degree seeking student.
- Must be in good academic standing and have a 2.5 cumulative GPA to apply.
- Must maintain a 2.5 semester and cumulative GPA if selected.
- Must not be on any form of academic or social probation.
- Must have at least two semesters of experience serving as a member of the Earlham College Resident Assistant team.
- Must be available at least four and a half weeks before classes begin for fall training and one and a half weeks before classes begin for spring training.
- Must complete all responsibilities as outlined in the Hall Director Agreement and meet all expectations of professional staff members within the Office of Residence Life.
- Must not hold any other job while serving as a Hall Director.
- Must not hold an executive office within the Earlham Student Government while serving as a Hall Director.
- One bedroom apartment in the residence hall to which you are assigned valued at approximately $6,700.00 for the academic year.
- Stipend of $3,200.00 for the academic year which is distributed evenly by semester ($1,600.00 for Fall and $1,600.00 for Spring).
- EC White Meal Plan (40 meals plus $50 Quaker Dollars each semester) valued at $740 for the academic year.
Frequently Asked Questions
Below we’ve compiled the answers to some questions we have been commonly asked by individuals interested in learning more about the Hall Director position.
Each year, the department hires four Hall Directors in the spring semester for the following year. This number includes both new and returning HDs. Hall Directors must be able to complete a whole academic year contract to be eligible.
Applications open every year following fall break and remain open through the first week or so of the spring semester. All interested candidates should apply during this application period. Those who will be abroad during the spring semester can contact the main contact for the recruitment process if they would prefer to complete their interview prior to leaving for off-campus study. All other interviews will be completed in the spring. There is no separate application process for candidates interested in mid-year positions.
Because of time intensive the nature of the HD position, HDs are not permitted to hold outside employment while serving as a HD.