We understand how overwhelming it can be to decide what to bring with you and what to leave behind when you come to Earlham. Our team hopes to make this an easy process for you and your family. In addition to our recommended packing list and information about what our residential communities have to offer in amenities, we've put together some additional information to think about as your preparing for your move to campus.
While these lists are not all-encompassing, they are a great place to start. You are not required to purchase all or any of the items listed below as things you should think about bringing. These are merely recommendations meant to help you get started.
We also encourage you to review our lists with some of the items that are prohibited on-campus so you can plan to leave them at home.
- Twin extra-long bedding (pillows, pillow cases, mattress protector, sheet sets, blankets, etc.)
Storage & Organization
- Bins/Tote Organizers
- Underbed Storage
- Hooks/Hook Racks
- Wall Safe Adhesive
- Towel Set
- Shower Tote/Caddy
- Flip Flops/Shower Shoes
- Personal Hygiene Products
- Desk Lamp
- Desk Organizers
- School Supplies!
- Message/Dry Erase Board
Laundry & Cleaning
- Laundry Basket
- Pop-Up Hamper
- Drying Rack
- All Purpose Cleaners
- Laundry Detergent & Dryer Needs
- Iron/Ironing Board
Personal Items & Other Considerations
- Identification cards
- Over the Counter Medicines
- Phone Charger
- Photos/Memories (some, not all)
- Surge Protectors
- Area Rug (if that’s their style)
- Floor lamps (review policy)
- Use of cigarettes, e-cigarettes, ‘vapes’, etc.
- Use of candles, incense, etc.
- Appliances with open face heating coils or elements such as hot pots, coffee pots, electric grills, toasters and hot plates. While these items are prohibited in student rooms, they can be used and stored in the communal kitchens in each hall.
- Fireworks, firecrackers or any other chemicals which are of an explosive or corrosive nature are prohibited on College property or at any College function.
- Firearms, ammunition, offensive or defensive weapons, paintball guns, BB guns, sling shots, water guns, swords, stun guns, knives and any other item that may be determined a weapon by the college.
- Gasoline or any other flammable liquids.
- Kerosene heaters, oil lamps, immersion coils and space heaters not provided by the College.
- Internal combustion engines (motorcycles, mopeds).
- Charcoal or gas grills.
- Non-UL approved power cord or extension cords. All power suppliers must have surge protector and automatic shutoff.
- No suppliers or over-utilized electrical sockets.
- Light fixtures where the lamp is exposed in the up position, including neon lights.
- Oversized refrigerators taller than 4 feet high.
- Microwave ovens over 700 watts.
- Any non-UL approved charging cables, power adapters or extensions.
- Network Routers
- Network Switches
- Wireless (Wi-Fi) Access-Points
- Wireless (Wi-Fi) Extenders
- Wireless (Wi-Fi) Routers
- Live cut Christmas trees
- Air conditioners.
- Shelves and other structures may not be attached to room furnishings, walls, ceilings or floors.
- Any item hanging from or attached to the lights, fire sprinkler pipes, or sprinkler heads.
- Students cannot provide furnishing for lounges/lounge spaces without approval. Items in this area will be discarded.
- Items that obstruct a doorway, strobe- light smoke detector, and any wood structure.
- Mattresses and beds not provided by the college, water beds
- Any pet or laboratory animal, except fish or approved service and support animals. This also means that visiting animals are also prohibited.
- Pet equipment, food, supplies, or paraphernalia.
- Old/empty alcohol bottles as decorations.
- Items alluding to drug use/paraphernalia.
- Placing any furniture or other items in stairwells or corridors, which limits emergency egress.
- Personal door locks other than those provided by the College.
- Space heaters.