FAQs, Registrar | Earlham College
COVID-19 news, plans and updates | READ MORE
Skip to Content

Frequently Asked Questions

The Registrar's Office is open between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. If you have questions or concerns regarding your transcript, course selection, academic standing, your major/minor or your adviser, the Registrar's Office is the place to go. If we cannot answer your question or address your concern, we will direct you to the appropriate office. The Registrar's Office can be reached by phone at (765) 983-1515, by FAX at (765) 983-1374 or in person. Our office is located on the first floor of Carpenter Hall, between the Human Resources Office and the President's Office.

Q: How do I declare my major and/or minor and by when must this be done?

A: Major Declaration and Minor Declaration forms are available in the Registrar's Office and can also be downloaded from the Registrar's Office website. The form is completed in consultation with an academic adviser in the major and/or minor which the student is declaring and both forms require the student and adviser signature. Students are expected to officially declare a major by the end of their sophomore year. Minors are optional and must be declared by the end of the first semester of the student's senior year.

Q: How is my GPA (grade point average) calculated?

A: The GPA (grade point average) is calculated by dividing the total honor points by the number of credits. Example for a semester: A (4 credits) 4 credits x 4 honor points = 16 honor points; B+ (3 credits) 3 credits x 3.3 honor points = 9.9 honor points; B- (3 credits) 3 credits x 2.7 honor points = 8.1 honor points; A- (4 credits) 4 credits x 3.7 honor points = 14.8 honor points. Total honor points = 48.8. Total credits = 14. Total honor points divided by credits (48.8 divided by 14 = 3.48 grade point average.

Q: How do I get a copy of my official Earlham transcript?

A: There are transcript order forms available in the Registrar's Office. This form can also be downloaded from the Registrar's Office website. More

Q: How are grade reports distributed?

A: It is Earlham’s policy to report grades directly to the student. Students are not provided a printed copy of semester grades. Grades will be available only via Self Service. It is the student’s responsibility to report grades to their parent(s).

Note: Parents of first-year students will receive the parent copy of the Fall Semester grade report by mail in late January. All subsequent grade reports will be distributed as explained above.

Q: How do I know if a course I am taking or plan to take fulfills a general education requirement?

A: Courses fulfilling a general education requirement are designated as such in the course listing at the departmental websites, and on the course schedule at Self Service.

Q: How do I get approval to transfer courses to Earlham?

A: Transfer Approval forms are available in the Registrar's Office or can be downloaded from the Registrar's Office website. The form requires the signature of the student's academic adviser as well as a department faculty signature if the course is being approved to fulfill a general education requirement or a requirement for the student's major or minor. The back of the form (or page 1 of the downloaded form) gives a complete description of the transfer approval process.

Print Friendly and PDF

Earlham College, an independent, residential college, aspires to provide the highest-quality undergraduate education in the liberal arts and sciences, shaped by the distinctive perspectives of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers).

Earlham College
801 National Road West
Richmond, Indiana
1-765-983-1200 — Main Switchboard
1-800-EARLHAM (327-5426) — Admission


Earlham admits students of any race, color, national and ethnic origin, age, gender and sexual orientation to all the rights, privileges, programs, and activities generally accorded or made available to students at the school. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin, age, gender and sexual orientation in administration of its educational policies, admissions policies, scholarship and loan programs, and athletic and other school-administered programs.