Remember no two incidents are identical, each must be evaluated independently, therefore the following response concepts could include:
If exiting the building or area is possible
- Exit immediately
- Try to warn others
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Notify 911 upon reaching a safe location
If exiting the building or area is not possible
- Remain calm.
- Immediately lock your office door or classroom door. If there are non-threatening students/faculty/staff members in the hallway, ask them to step into your room/office.
- Direct others in room to move away from doors and windows. Do not open your door for any reason. Authorities will have keys.
- Cover room/office windows as best as possible; close blinds and curtains and turn off lights.
- Mute all cell phones or other devices that may alert of your presence (including vibrating modes).
- DO NOT call emergency services or Public Safety after the incident has been reported unless you can provide useful information pertaining to the situation.
- Take attendance of students/faculty/staff present and be prepared to provide it to authorities if needed.
- If you hear what may be gunshots, direct those in the room to lie as flat on the floor as possible.
- Remain in a lockdown until otherwise instructed by authorities or campus administration.
If an intruder is outside the building
- Attempt to lock the building if this can safely be accomplished
- Turn off lights to rooms and move away from windows
- If the intruder gains entry to the building, attempt to evacuate through an alternate means, or follow actions listed above.