In the event of a Medical Emergency, immediately call 911 for an ambulance. Provide the location of the medical emergency, including which room as well as the nature of the emergency.
WHAT YOU SHOULD DO:
- Notify Earlham Public Safety at 765-983-1400.
- If someone else is available, have them meet the ambulance personnel outside the building (or location) to guide them to the scene.
DO NOT provide first aid assistance unless you are trained to do so and have permission from the individual (if they are able to provide it).
DO NOT move the person unless he/she is in immediate danger.
If the person is UNCONSCIOUS:
- DO NOT try and give fluids.
- DO NOT attempt to awaken by shaking.
- DO loosen tight clothing, especially around the neck if breathing is restricted.
- DO begin giving CPR if the person is not breathing and you are trained to do so.
If the person is CONSCIOUS:
- Get as much information as possible (i.e. type of injury/sickness, age, medical conditions, medications, allergies etc.).
- Reassure the person that help is on the way.
- DO NOT let the person drive home or to a hospital.
If the person is having a seizure, DO NOT restrain him or her. Move any objects or desks away to prevent the person from being injured.