A fire may include visible flames or strong odors of burning. The appropriate emergency action is for persons to evacuate the building quickly and safely and call 911 and Earlham Public Safety at 765-983-1400.
- If you are the person who has discovered the fire, extinguish it ONLY if you can do so safely and quickly.
- Use an appropriate fire extinguisher to control the fire only if you have had fire extinguisher training; and the fire is containable; and your personal safety is not placed in jeopardy.
- If the fire is extinguished, notify Public Safety.
IF THE FIRE CANNOT BE EXTINGUISHED:
- Confine the fire by closing the door/s.
- Pull the nearest FIRE ALARM while leaving the building
- Alert others (while proceeding to evacuate the building).
- Exit the building, assisting anyone who needs help in the evacuation.
- CALL 911
- Call Earlham Public Safety at 765-983-1400.
- Meet the Fire Department when they arrive.
EVACUATING A BUILDING:
- Close the doors to your immediate area.
- Feel closed doors from top to bottom before opening. If it is hot, DO NOT proceed; go back.
- If the door is cool, crouch low and open the door slowly. If smoke is present, quickly close the door to prevent inhalation.
- If no smoke is present, exit the building via the nearest exit. Assist others in exiting the building. DO NOT USE ELEVATORS.
- Avoid smoke filled areas.
- If exiting a smoke-filled area, stay low to the ground and crawl to the nearest exit.
- If your clothing catches fire; do not run. Remember - STOP, DROP AND ROLL.