The traditional letter grades “A” through “F” may be assigned alone, or with a plus or a minus.
Numerical Equivalents of Letter Grades for Transcripts:
- A+ = 4.0 honor points; A = 4.0; A- = 3.7
- B+ = 3.3; B = 3.0; B- = 2.7
- C+ = 2.3; C = 2.0; C- = 1.7
- D+ = 1.3; D = 1.0; D- =.7
- F = 0.0
- CR = 0.0 Credit; while a CR grade designation is equivalent to a grade of C or better, courses with CR grades are not computed into the Grade Point Average (GPA). A CR may be given ONLY for an approved Credit/No Credit course and for AWPE activities courses.
- NCR = No Credit Earned; this grade appears on a student’s transcript but is not computed in the student’s GPA.
- The Credit/No Credit option is available with the consent of the instructor, academic adviser and the Registrar. Students must petition requesting to complete a course for Credit/No Credit by the first Friday after the close of registration. Students may not change this grading option after approval of the petition or the tenth class day. A student may not take the Credit/No Credit option in their major or minor.
- The F grade is included in computing the GPA and is averaged into the GPA as 0. The former NP is no longer a grading option.
- The I or Incomplete is reserved for students who submitted an Incomplete petition and whose petition was approved by an Academic Dean.
Note: Incomplete petitions should be sent to the Registrar’s Office. Incompletes are available after the 15th week of the semester to students who have experienced a medical emergency or some other circumstance beyond their control that prevented them from completing coursework. The Incomplete is not appropriate for students who have not managed to complete coursework in a timely manner.
- The M grade is assigned to a student whose work is somehow implicated in a breach of academic integrity. For example, if a teacher is grading papers the week after graduation and discovers two identical papers, then the teacher should assign M grades to those papers. Once the truth about their integrity has been established (which might be delayed until Fall Semester), the teacher submits a final grade for the work. Teachers must notify the Academic Dean before assigning an M grade.
- The NG (No Grade) is reserved for those occasions when teachers find they are missing a piece of work from a student, which they believe the student did, in fact, submit. The NG serves as a placeholder on the student’s transcript until the teacher has figured out what happened to the work and is prepared to give the student a final grade. The NG is NOT intended for students who missed the Incomplete deadline or for students who have missed deadlines for submitting work. Faculty members must convert all NGs to final grades by the end of the semester following the semester in which the NG was given. An unconverted NG automatically is recorded as an F or failing grade.
- The RT (Retake) indicates that a course has been retaken. Students must complete the petition to retake a course. Petitions are available in the Registrar’s Office and should be completed in a timely manner. A course may be retaken one time to improve a grade.
|Responsible party(ies):||Curricular Steering Committee|
|Related policies:|| Academic Standing Policy
|Associated division(s):||All Divisions, Offices, etc.|
|Associated audience(s):||Administrative Faculty