Design and style guidelines
Earlham College. For good.
As a college, we measure our success by the countless Earlhamites who lead extraordinary lives of mission and value as a direct result of their Earlham experience. Our community is built on relationships and the belief that together, we can change the world for good. And our brand helps us communicate this story to the world.
Implementing our brand
Execution is a critical factor in creating and maintaining a strong brand presence. Although our words carry a heavy load, external constituents often get to know us first through visual impressions and the presentation of our brand.
Below, you can find some of the most-used elements of our brand. For a deeper dive into our brand, take a look at our visual guidelines.
Our editorial style
Here are a few common style choices you may come across in our publications:
- Dates: When writing a specific date, abbreviate the month (if it’s more than six letters). For example: Aug. 18.
- Times: We use a.m. and p.m. to indicate morning and afternoon, and we use “noon” and “midnight” rather than 12 p.m. and 12 a.m. For example: My first class is at 11 a.m., then I go to lunch at noon.
- Numbers: In general, spell out numbers one through nine; use numerals for 10 and up.
- Simple series: When listing three or more elements, do not use a comma before the conjunction. (In other words, we do not generally use the Oxford comma.) For example: We offer biology, chemistry and biochemistry majors.
Brand marks and logos
The Earlham logo is our unifying symbol. Proper usage of the master logo is critical to our brand’s recognition and success. Please remember:
- Do not distort, edit or customize the logo without approval from the Office of Marketing and Communications.
- When using the logo in design, give it space to breathe. Allow for the space of the “r” in Earlham around the logo, at a minimum.
- When the full logo is not appropriate or doesn’t fit within a communication strategy, we may choose to use what we call a marketing lockup instead. Please make sure you have approval from our office before using a lockup in place of the master logo.
Departments at Earlham have their own departmental lockups that can be used to supplement the master logo or to provide contact information for the specific department.
- Contact our office if you need a lockup designed for your department.
Fonts and typography
Our typography system makes use of Museo’s diverse font family. You can find these fonts in our Downloads & Resources section.
If you don’t have Museo readily available on your device, you can also use Segoe UI. All external documents should make use of the official fonts. See our visual guidelines for examples of how to use our fonts together in headers, subheaders and body copy.
Our brand colors reflect the vibrancy and energy that is at the heart of Earlham, and our Earlham red should always be a prominent color in our designs.
- Pantone 208
- RBG 135 35 59
- CMYK 52 95 65 30
- HEX #87233b
For secondary colors and examples of color ratios, please view our visual guidelines.