Writing Center Director and Librarian — Lilly Library
April 18, 2019
Earlham College invites applications for the position of Writing Center Director and Librarian in Lilly Library. This is a full-time, 11-month administrative faculty appointment. Salary is commensurate with experience, and includes a benefits package.
Earlham seeks a motivated, independent, creative person to direct the Writing Center. The Director will partner with personnel across the College to promote excellent writing. This position is supervised by the Library Director.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Select, train and supervise student writing/research peer consultants at a unified service desk in the main library.
- Perform individual writing/research tutoring.
- Manage the Writing Center website and operating budget/
- Classroom writing workshops and course-integrated sessions to help achieve information and digital competencies,
- 1-credit writing tutorials,
- 1-credit tutor training course,
- Occasional faculty development workshops and seminars in coordination with the College’s Teaching and Learning Consultant, librarians, and Director of the Quantitative Reasoning Center, covering e.g. multimodal composition and scholarly communication, and/or
- After one year, possibly a 4-credit first-year seminar or a 1-credit LIFT Program section.
Experience & Qualifications
- A master’s degree in a writing-related field is required; Composition and Rhetoric is preferred.
- Excellent leadership and interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge and experience with Writing Center practice and theory.
- Ability to work closely with a range of campus constituencies.
- Ability to work with students at all levels.
Preference will be given to those candidates with background in Writing Center Administration and/or library instruction at the collegiate level, proven success in training and managing student tutors, and/or ELL or multimodal composition background.
Please send your curriculum vitae (CV); a personal interest statement; and the name, position title, email and phone number for three professional references in a single PDF or MS Word file to:
Human Resources Office
801 National Road West
Richmond, IN 47374-4095
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Earlham College is an Equal Opportunity Employer that seeks applications from candidates who contribute to diversity in terms of race, ethnicity, age, religious affiliation, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, and veteran status, among other distinctions and contributions. As a College with a Quaker identity, Earlham also is eager to solicit applications from members of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers).
Earlham utilizes E-Verify to confirm employment eligibility for all newly hired employees within the United States.