Senior Director of Alumni Engagement and Annual Giving — Institutional Advancement
February 08, 2019
Earlham College is seeking to fill the position of Senior Director of Alumni Engagement and Annual Giving in the Office of Institutional Advancement. This is a full time, 12-month Administrative Faculty position. Salary is commensurate with experience.
The Senior Director of Alumni Engagement and Annual Giving is a newly created position that oversees the areas of Alumni Engagement and Annual Giving. This position is responsible for the development, management and integration of programs that engage alumni and donors in creative and relevant ways as resources for the College and for each other, and which converts such important engagement with the College into consistent philanthropic support.
The Director plays a pivotal role in accelerating growth in alumni and annual giving. Creates and leads a unified strategy and outreach effort to create and sustain commitment and engagement among College alumni and friends. Designs, leads and directs the development of annual goals and objectives, operating plans and budgets, staffing, and volunteer management plans for the Alumni Engagement and Annual Giving programs. Establishes the strategic direction and implementation of the Earlham Fund's efforts to dramatically increase unrestricted and restricted annual support for the College, especially to increase the number of alumni donors to Earlham.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Research and develop alumni programming in support of the College's priorities which responds to alumni demographic factors, including age, vocation, academic background, affinity groups and geographic regions.
- Develop and oversee data informed solicitation initiatives (including direct mail, phone, email and personal) for the Alumni Engagement and Annual Giving team with a specific focus on securing unrestricted support for The Earlham Fund.
- Supervise the implementation of programs and activities in support of The Earlham Fund in an effort to solicit gifts from alumni, parents, friends, faculty/staff and trustees; provide ongoing analysis on current giving and multi-year trends to the Vice President for Institutional Advancement.
- Develop and oversee a Parent’s Council that will serve as a vital link between families and the University while also helping raise funds for Earlham in support of current students.
- Work closely with Institutional Advancement's major and planned giving programs to move capable annual giving donors toward major and planned giving discussions through comprehensive solicitation strategies.
- Oversee the management and coordination of alumni volunteer opportunities with other campus entities such as admissions and the Center for Career and Community Engagement.
- Serve as the primary liaison to The Earlham College Alumni Council and ensure that robust and regular lines of communications are maintained between the College and the Council, including but not limited to facilitating regular interaction with the College's senior leadership. Achieve 100% donor participation from Council members on an annual basis.
- Oversee alumni engagement programs in concert with the Alumni Council, members of the Institutional Advancement office and other campus partners (e.g., Homecoming and Reunion Weekend, special events, regional programming and alumni affinity reunions).
- Build strategy and oversee the work with Marketing & Communications staff to conceptualize, design and plan innovative marketing tools to build awareness for and enhance the image of The Earlham Fund, Homecoming and Reunion Weekend and all alumni outreach efforts.
- Work in close partnership with Marketing and Communications, manage the process by which significant alumni outcomes are identified, researched and tracked. Summarize the information about such alumni and their outcomes in a consistent, accessible format in support of efforts to engage these alumni with the College and student recruitment efforts.
- Support the development of a robust fundraising plan for all Earlham athletics programs in coordination with the Senior Director of Athletics.
- Partner with Advancement Services to ensure that databases and alumni records are current, maintain integrity of system, and make certain that it is being utilized in an efficient and effective manner; oversee production of annual giving reports.
- Working in close coordination with Advancement Services, develop and implement stewardship plans for annual donors to Earlham that demonstrates impact and sets the stage for consistent annual giving.
- Monitor all Alumni Engagement and Annual Fund budgets with the primary objectives of delivering robust alumni programming and meeting annual fundraising goals while staying within approved budget parameters.
- Limited travel is required as part of the responsibilities of this position.
The Senior Director of Alumni Engagement and Annual Giving reports to the Vice President for Institutional Advancement, serves as a member of the senior management team, and is responsible for supervising five professional staff and one hourly staff member.
Experience & Qualifications
- At least five years of progressively responsible successful and diverse fundraising experience, including demonstrated success developing and executing alumni engagement programming and annual giving initiatives.
- Experience in developing and executing strategic fundraising initiatives as a manager of fundraising teams and or programs, preferably in a higher education setting.
- Ability to collaborate and work effectively with staff, administrators, faculty and alumni.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and handle several projects simultaneously.
- Ability to provide appropriate management of college budget resources.
- Experience preparing effective written proposals and correspondence for a wide variety of constituents.
- Willingness to work evenings and weekends, and be an effective manager of time and travel as needed.
Please send a letter of application that addresses the various responsibilities of the position; resume; and the name, position title, email address and phone number of three professional references in a single PDF or MS Word file to:
Human Resources Office
801 National Road West
Richmond, IN 47374-4095
The review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Earlham College is an Equal Opportunity Employer that seeks applications from candidates who contribute to diversity in terms of race, ethnicity, age, religious affiliation, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, and veteran status, among other distinctions and contributions. As a College with a Quaker identity, Earlham also is eager to solicit applications from members of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers).