Office Manager and Benefit Specialist — Human Resources
October 10, 2018
Earlham College invites applications for the position of Office Manager and Benefit Specialist in the Human Resources Office. This is a full-time, hourly staff position with a starting rate of $14.05 per hour, with an increase to $14.20 per hour upon successful completion of 90-day introductory period. Compensation also includes a benefits package. This position reports to the Director of Human Resources.
The Office Manager and Benefit Specialist will be responsible for directing and coordinating Human Resources services and related activities.
The Office Manager and Benefit Specialist position is responsible for overall Human Resources office activities, including the reception area, mail, large purchasing requests, applicant tracking, new employee onboarding, processing remittances and facilities. This position is also responsible for assisting with the administration of all day-to-day benefits and retirement programs, including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short- and long-term disability, and 403(B) plan.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Manages the reception area to ensure effective telephone, email and mail communications both internally and externally to maintain professional image.
- Supervises and coordinates overall administrative activities for the Human Resources Department. Partners with HR leaders to update and maintain office policies as necessary.
- Assists in the onboarding process for new hires. Manages applicants using internal applicant process. Manages applicant tracking, prepares and reviews orientation paperwork with new hires.
- Ensures the accuracy of all benefits enrollments in the HRIS to provide vendors with accurate eligibility information. Performs quality checks of benefits-related data.
- Assists employees regarding day-to-day benefits inquires, life-status changes and general claim issues. This day-to-day administration will be supported by the Director for escalation claims and inquires.
- Responds to general 403(B) inquiries from employees relating to enrollments, plan changes and contribution amounts.
- With guidance from the Director, assists with the open enrollment process. When directed, distributes all benefits enrollment materials and determines eligibility.
- Provides necessary reports for allocation/billing charges. Processes monthly benefit remittances.
- Serves on committees as needed that require HR knowledge.
- Maintains and updates personnel files within the HR office.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Experience & Qualifications
- A high school degree or equivalent is required; a bachelor’s degree is preferred.
- Two years experience in an administrative setting.
- Proven experience as an office manager, front office manager, HR Assistant or administrative assistant with benefit-related responsibilities.
- Knowledge of customer service responsibilities and procedures.
- Proficiency in MS Office.
- Excellent time management skills and ability to multitask and prioritize work.
- Attention to detail and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to manage highly confidential information and materials.
- Strong organizational and planning skills in a fast-paced environment.
Please send a letter of interest; a resume; and the name, position title, email address and phone number of three professional references in a single PDF or MS Word file to:
Director of Human Resources
801 National Road West
Richmond, IN 47374-4095
The review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Application Form for Hourly Staff Positions
Earlham College is an Equal Opportunity Employer that seeks applications from candidates who contribute to diversity in terms of race, ethnicity, age, religious affiliation, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, and veteran status, among other distinctions and contributions. As a College with a Quaker identity, Earlham also is eager to solicit applications from members of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers).