Painter's Assistant — Facilities
March 06, 2018
Earlham College is seeking a Painter's Assistant to work in the Facilities Department. This is a full-time position (40 hours per week). The pay rate is $9.50 per hour. Compensation includes a benefit package.
The position is under the direct supervision of the Building Trades Supervisor.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
Under the general direction and supervision of Supervisory Painter, the Painter's Assistant performs both interior and exterior painting work in connections with the operation and maintenance of College buildings, facilities, furniture and equipment, including but not limited to:
- Preparing surfaces as necessary.
- Applying various types of paint, i.e. primers, sealers, oil, water, rubber, vinyl or cement based paints.
- Drywall taping and finishing.
- Furniture refinishing.
The Painter's Assistant must:
- Maintain an excellent attendance record, be punctual and meet deadlines.
- Maintain a functional awareness of the typical hazards of the workplace.
- Work from a ladder or scaffold.
- Follow MSDS standards, keep proper ventilation, and know the handling procedures of hazardous waste.
- Follow established procedures for dealing with such potential hazards.
- Promptly reports accidents on the job, preparing and submitting accident reports.
Experience & Qualifications
- Knowledge of proper use and maintenance of hand and power tools related to job functions.
- Physical ability to perform all job functions and duties.
- Ability to move through limited access spaces.
- Ability to effectively work individually or in teams as well as with diverse groups.
- Ability to effectively communicate orally
- Ability to work effectively in a service-oriented environment subject to frequently changing priorities.
- Ability to follow through and carry out assignments.
- Problem-solving skills and sound judgment.
- Ability to understand and apply College and departmental policies and procedures.
- A valid driver’s license must be maintained at all times while employed by the College.
Employment is contingent upon acceptable background checks (criminal and sex offender).
Please send a letter of application that addresses the various responsibilities of the position; a resume; and the name, position title, email address and phone number of three professional references in a single PDF or MS Word file to:
Human Resources Office
801 National Road West
Richmond, IN 47374-4095
The review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Application Form for Hourly Staff Positions
Earlham College is an Equal Opportunity Employer that seeks applications from candidates who contribute to diversity in terms of race, ethnicity, age, religious affiliation, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, and veteran status, among other distinctions and contributions. As a College with a Quaker identity, Earlham also is eager to solicit applications from members of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers).