Landscape Designer/Groundskeeper — Facilities
December 21, 2017
Earlham College is accepting applications for the position of Landscape Designer/Groundskeeper in the Facilities Department. This is a full-time, 40 hours-per-week, 52 weeks-a-year appointment. Salary is $13.78 per hour with an increase to $13.93 upon successful completion of 90-day introductory period. Compensation includes a full benefits package.
The position is under the direct supervision of the Supervisor of Grounds.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Developing landscape designs and planning with a strong focus on low-maintenance and environmentally sustainable best practices suitable for this region.
- Coordinating campus flower program.
- Training and supervising seasonal assistants and students.
- Partnering with other departments to prepare grounds for major campus events – commencement, homecoming, new student orientation, etc.
- Procuring of supplies, tools, shrubs, chemicals and all landscaping needs.
- Maintaining landscaping for the residence of the President.
- Overseeing fall tree planting and maintaining campus tree map.
- Providing design review comments and participating in project meetings for landscape and site designs with architects as part of major capital construction projects.
- Installing and maintaining approved landscape designs.
- Performing proper landscape maintenance including shrub removal and/or replacement (planting, trimming, pruning, weeding, fertilization, watering).
- Assisting in the maintenance of all roads on and around Earlham properties as directed.
- Assisting with snow plowing, shoveling and salting of all parking lots and sidewalks as directed.
- Performing other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
Experience & Qualifications
- An associate degree in Landscape Architecture, Horticulture or related “green” field.
- At least five years prior landscaping employment experience, including equipment operation.
- Demonstrated interest in caring for trees, shrubs and flowers with expertise in sustainable landscape design (including hardscape) in an academic campus or equivalent setting.
- Ability to work long hours when emergencies arise and deadlines must be met.
- Ability to lift and move heavy objects, working alone or as part of a team.
- Effective personal computer skills, including email, Photo Shop, AutoCAD, Excel, Word, and computerized work management software (TMA).
- A valid U.S. state-issued driver’s license at all times.
- Meet all requirements for operating College-owned vehicles and equipment at all times
- A bachelor’s or master’s degree in Landscape Architecture, Horticulture or related “green” field.
- Certified Grounds Technician or Certified Grounds Manager through the Professional Grounds Management Society.
Employment is contingent upon acceptable background checks (criminal and sex offender).
Please send a letter of interest; a resume; and the name, position title, email address and phone number of three professional references in a single PDF or MS Word file to:
Human Resources Office
801 National Road West
Richmond, IN 47374-4095
The review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Earlham College is an Equal Opportunity Employer that seeks applications from candidates who contribute to diversity in terms of race, ethnicity, age, religious affiliation, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, and veteran status, among other distinctions and contributions. As a College with a Quaker identity, Earlham also is eager to solicit applications from members of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers).
Earlham utilizes E-Verify to confirm employment eligibility for all newly hired employees within the United States.