Director of Religious Life
December 21, 2017
This position announcement was revised January 2, 2018.
Earlham College is seeking applications for the Director of Religious Life. This is a full-time, 12-month administrative appointment. Salary is commensurate with experience, and includes a full benefit package.
The Office of Religious Life supports students in exploring and expressing their beliefs through worship, celebration and dialogue. The position reports to both the Vice President of Student Life and Dean of Students, and the Chaplain and Director of Quaker Life.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
The primary tasks of this position focus on coordinating College Meeting for Worship, providing support and guidance to student religious life groups, initiating and promoting interfaith events, and assisting as needed with Student Life programming.
- Coordinates College Meeting for Worship and advises College Meeting Cabinet.
- Provides support and guidance to student religious life groups and houses on campus. Serves as adviser to Interfaith House, College Meeting Cabinet, as other groups as needed.
- Assists students in integrating their intellectual lives, and commitments to peace and social justice with their spiritual formation by creating opportunities for theological reflection, spiritual direction and vocational discernment.
- Fosters ecumenical/inter-religious understanding by initiating, coordinating and promoting a variety of interfaith events such as service projects, fall/spring break trips, holy day observances and interfaith meals.
- Serves as a member of the Student Life Division on-call rotation.
- During the summer months, coordinates, organizes and implements the New and Transfer Student Orientation, and supervises an Orientation Graduate Intern.
- Maintains appropriate confidentiality.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Vice President of Student Life and Dean of Students or the Chaplain and Director of Quaker Life.
Experience & Qualifications
- A bachelor’s degree in Religion or a related field is required; a Master of Divinity degree or equivalency in professional experience is preferred.
- Deep understanding of and appreciation for Quakerism and various faith traditions.
- Experience planning and leading worship, providing pastoral care to young adults, facilitating faith-based groups, and initiating programming.
- Experience providing administrative leadership (supervision, budgets, long-range planning, etc.).
- Passion working with young adults, especially in regard to faith matters.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to collaborate with a team.
- Demonstrated skills in organization and time management.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including public speaking and presentation skills.
- Proficiency with computers, technology and social media.
- Creativity in imaging new initiatives and/or new ways of pursuing existing goals.
- Availability to work Sundays and some evenings is required.
- Candidates must possess a valid driver’s license, and submit to a criminal background check.
Please send a letter of interest; a resume; and the name, position title, email address and phone number of three professional references in a single PDF or MS Word file to:
Human Resources Office
801 National Road West
Richmond, IN 47374-4095
The review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Earlham College is an Equal Opportunity Employer that seeks applications from candidates who contribute to diversity in terms of race, ethnicity, age, religious affiliation, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, and veteran status, among other distinctions and contributions. As a College with a Quaker identity, Earlham also is eager to solicit applications from members of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers).