Assistant Director of Facilities
October 18, 2017
Earlham College is accepting applications for the position of Assistant Director of Facilities. This is a full time, 12-month administrative faculty appointment. Salary is commensurate with experience, and includes a full benefits package.
As a key member of the College’s facilities management team, the Assistant Director assesses and responds independently to operational issues as they develop, or as required by the Director of Facilities or senior staff.
This position reports to the Director, assists with various administrative and management functions as required, and leads the Facilities Department in the Director’s absence. The trades supervisors for grounds, building trades and mechanical-electrical-plumbing (MEP) report directly to the Assistant Director.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
The Assistant Director:
- Shares responsibility with the Director for the department front office, focusing on application of the college’s maintenance and space management systems (TMA and 25Live) to department operations.
- Provides primary oversight of Facilities Department procurement and project management for both maintenance and annual capital projects.
- Ensures that preventive facilities maintenance is done effectively on a timely basis and that complete maintenance records are maintained.
- Coordinates directly reporting functions with housekeeping, public safety, residence life, event support, major capital projects, and with other college departments.
- Assists the Director with the development of capital, construction and operational budgets, and initiates the preparation of annual budget reports and projections.
- Works with the Director to develop and maintain department policies and procedures.
- Works with the Director and hourly supervisors to evaluate staff performance.
- Acts as the College’s primary representative with the TMA software vendor and is (or becomes) the resident expert on this subject.
- Oversees operation of TMA and training required for Facilities and other departments’ employees.
- Develops TMA application to both reactive and preventative maintenance.
- Oversees the preparation of cost and labor data reports.
- Serves on the Facilities Department after-hours management duty roster.
- Represents Facilities Department interests on campus committees and at meetings as may be required.
- Performs other such duties as may be assigned from time to time.
Experience & Qualifications
- An associate’s degree in engineering, facilities management, construction, or a related field.
- At least 10 years of recent managerial experience relating to facilities management of a complex educational facility or equivalent.
- A bachelor’s degree in one of the above fields may be substituted for up to five of the required years of experience.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with diverse constituencies.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English are required.
- Adaptability and resourcefulness are essential.
- Analytical and reasoning skills necessary for process evaluation, judgment and finally, independent action are critical.
- A strong working knowledge of the following software is required: TMA or equivalent system, Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), CAD and project scheduling.
- Demonstrated proficiency in one or more of the mechanical or structural trades, and a strong working knowledge of architectural and engineering plans and specifications are essential.
- Maintain a valid driver's license at all times; and meet all requirements of the College’s Public Safety Department for operation of College-owned or rented vehicles.
- Employment is contingent upon results of a criminal background check (including sex offender).
The Assistant Director of Facilities is expected to live within an approximately a 15-minute drive from campus. The area within this radius generally corresponds to central Wayne County.
Please send a letter of application addressing the responsibilities of the position and qualifications of the applicant; resume; and the name, position title, email address and phone number of three professional references in a single PDF or MS Word file to:
Human Resources Office
801 National Road West
Richmond, Indiana 47374-4095
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Earlham College is an Equal Opportunity Employer that seeks applications from candidates who contribute to diversity in terms of race, ethnicity, age, religious affiliation, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, and veteran status, among other distinctions and contributions. As a College with a Quaker identity, Earlham also is eager to solicit applications from members of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers).