Head Men's Lacrosse Coach
April 22, 2019
Earlham College is seeking applicants for the position of Head Men’s Lacrosse Coach in the Department of Athletics. This is a full-time, 12-month administrative faculty appointment. Salary is commensurate with experience, and includes a benefit package. The Head Men's Lacrosse Coach reports to the Director of Athletics.
The Head Men’s Lacrosse Coach will be responsible for the conduct and overall supervision of the men’s lacrosse program. The position’s main responsibility will be to recruit, develop and retain student-athletes, and coach and develop a highly competitive Division III men’s lacrosse program in compliance with NCAA, Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference and Earlham College rules and regulations.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following functions:
- Develop annual overall recruitment strategy and generate monthly recruiting reports.
- Build relationships with prospective student-athletes and their families.
- Work closely with the Office of Admission and other campus offices to recruit outstanding student-athletes.
- Plan and coordinate prospective student-athlete visits to campus and off-campus contacts with prospective student-athletes.
- Attend tournaments and showcases, observe team camps, visit high schools, and attend practices and/or games of recruits on a regular basis.
- Establish and maintain recruiting database utilizing athletics department recruiting software.
- Maintain regular communication with prospective student-athletes and their families utilizing various communication tools (e.g., phone calls, text, emails, etc.) on a regular basis to maintain interest.
- Utilize social media platforms in recruitment efforts consistent with NCAA DIII rules.
- Meet or exceed annual recruitment goals established in collaboration with the Director of Athletics annually.
- Maintain or exceed optimal roster size annually.
Office and Off-Field Responsibilities
- Support, monitor and track academic success and personal growth of each student-athlete for the purposes that include retention and completion.
- Help orient student-athletes to the policies and regulations of the College, the HCAC and the NCAA.
- Oversee the conduct and discipline of student-athletes.
- Prepare team competition and practice schedules guided by the athletics department's Scheduling and Principles document that meet NCAA, conference and Earlham regulations.
- Prepare and operate a fiscally sound program with an annual balanced budget.
- Inventory, purchase and maintain equipment and uniforms.
- Hire, train and supervise a full-time assistant coach.
- Work with the Sports Marketing and Communications Office to aid in the promotion of the team and Earlham College.
- Utilize social media platforms to promote and generate interest in the men’s lacrosse program, the athletics department and Earlham College.
- Prepare and maintain accurate records and reports.
- Coordinate bus and van schedules, pre- and post-game meals, lodging and overnight accommodations.
- Be a presence in the office and available to assist player needs.
Practice/Player Development & Game Day Responsibilities
- Develop a competitive program consistent with the athletics department vision.
- Effectively teach individual skills, team concepts and competitive values.
- Prepare and execute practice and game plans.
- Breakdown drills providing individual player attention and training.
- Assist in overseeing weight training and individual workouts in season.
- Assist in designing off-season workouts for player improvement.
- Prepare game plans and scout future opponents.
- Perform post-game duties including, but not limited to, arranging team meal(s), securing statistics and contacting the Sports Marketing and Communications Office.
- Demonstrate leadership, sportsmanship and mature conduct as the head coach of the program.
- Positively represent Earlham to all on- and off-campus constituency groups, as well as in conference, regional and national coaching associations.
- Develop annual fundraising and alumni outreach plan collaborating with the Director of Athletics and Institutional Advancement.
- Be an active member of the athletics department and administrative faculty of Earlham College by attending staff meetings, other athletics department activities, including supporting other athletics programs and being responsive to the needs of departmental support staff (administrative leadership, support staff, athletic trainer(s), etc.); and the institution (i.e., institutional committees, admission events, faculty meetings).
- Assist the athletics department as needed, including but not limited to, game management duties and supervision.
- Attain van certification through Earlham’s Public Safety Office to assist with van transportation of student-athletes.
- Understand and support the basic mission of the College.
- Teach courses (4 half-semester courses per year) in the Athletics, Wellness and Physical Education (AWPE) curriculum.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Director of Athletics.
Experience & Qualifications
- A bachelor’s degree is required; a master’s degree is preferred.
- Previous collegiate coaching experience (3-5 years) is preferred.
- Collegiate playing experience is desired.
- A successful record of recruiting, developing and retaining student-athletes is essential.
- The successful candidate will demonstrate exceptional leadership and a commitment to, and understanding and appreciation of, NCAA Division III athletics and wellness in a private liberal arts college.
- Preference will be given to candidates who have experience working on a campus with a diverse student body.
- A current and valid driver’s license is required.
All department employees are required to demonstrate exemplary ethical conduct and conformance to NCAA rules and regulations; the duties of the position are to be performed in compliance with all NCAA, Conference and College rules and regulations; and any rules violations on behalf of themselves or any knowledge of violations within the department are to be reported to the appropriate parties. Violation of NCAA and other College or Conference regulations shall be subject to possible disciplinary action.
Please send a letter of interest, resume, and contact information for three references as a single electronic file to the Earlham College Human Resources Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Earlham College is an Equal Opportunity Employer that seeks applications from candidates who contribute to diversity in terms of race, ethnicity, age, religious affiliation, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, and veteran status, among other distinctions and contributions. As a College with a Quaker identity, Earlham also is eager to solicit applications from members of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers).