Director of Sports Marketing and Communications
November 27, 2017
Earlham College is seeking applicants for the position of Director of Sports Marketing and Communications in the Department of Athletics. This is a 12-month, full-time administrative faculty appointment. Salary is commensurate with experience, and includes a full benefit package.
The Director of Sports Marketing and Communications will be responsible for supporting the marketing and communication efforts of the Department of Athletics. This position will serve as the primary communications liaison of the Department of Athletics and its 20 varsity sports programs with primary emphasis on publicizing and promoting the athletic, academic and professional accomplishments of the student-athletes to students, parents, alumni, faculty, media and other constituencies. This position will include oversight of game day sports information and communication functions. This individual will report to the Associate Director of Athletics and oversee student workers and interns who work specifically in the sports communications and marketing office. This individual must have strong organizational, interpersonal, leadership and communication skills in order to work with others both inside and outside of the College.
All duties are performed in compliance with the rules and regulations of the National Collegiate Athletic Association, the Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference, the North Coast Athletic Conference and Earlham College.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
Game Day Management and Oversight
- Hire, train and oversee student-worker staff for office and contest related functions.
- Oversee game day operations that pertain to athletics communications/sports information.
- Provide and supervise in-game statistics and video broadcasts for all applicable sports.
- Schedule and oversee public address announcer.
- Provide and post action photos for home athletic contests.
- Produce and send out an email with details of contest results after game days.
- Manage and maintain sports marketing and communications budget.
Website Content and Social Media Manager
- Maintain and update athletics website — GoEarlham.com.
- Write previews and recaps for all athletics events.
- Publicize award winners and produce feature stories.
- Keep rosters, bios and photos updated on the website.
- Work with Presto on website redesigns when necessary.
- Develop and implement a social media marketing plan for athletics.
- Manage the Department of Athletics social media accounts including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Periscope and Snapchat.
- Keep up to date on new platforms and develop ways to engage with followers.
- Oversee and distribute information through the mobile application — Earlham Athletics Front Row.
Design and Promotional Materials
- Create and update a template for game-day programs and game notes for each contest.
- Design recruiting materials such as season previews, recaps and schedule cards.
- Design and update graphic templates for home contests, award winners, etc.
- Update and post graphics for upcoming contests, victories and score recaps.
Collaboration and Public Relations
- Work in conjunction with the Marketing and Communications Office to promote the College and provide athletics a voice in the promotion of Earlham as a whole.
- Coordinate local, regional and national media coverage that promotes the successes of student-athletes, coaches and programs.
- Serve as the institutional sports information contact for conference requirements.
Experience & Qualifications
- A bachelor's degree in a related field or equivalent is required; a master's degree is preferred.
- A minimum of two years’ experience in a collegiate athletic communications/sports information office is required. Experience in journalism or media relations is preferred.
- Strong computer skills including Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe InDesign/Photoshop are required.
- Experience with statistics programs (StatCrew, PrestoSports live statistics) is required.
- Experience in website maintenance (PrestoSports/SIDEARM Sports CMS) is required. Website analytical data expertise is preferred.
- Social media experience is required, and social media marketing experience is preferred.
- Strong ability to multitask, set priorities and meet deadlines.
- Willingness to work nights, weekends and holidays as needed.
- Supervisory and/or management experience preferably in collegiate athletics.
- Strong interpersonal, organizational and communication skills.
- Ability to effectively interact with a wide variety of people.
Please send a letter of interest; a resume; and the name, position title, email address and phone number of three professional references in a single PDF or MS Word file to:
Human Resources Office
801 National Road West
Richmond, IN 47374-4095
The review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Earlham College is an Equal Opportunity Employer that seeks applications from candidates who contribute to diversity in terms of race, ethnicity, age, religious affiliation, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, and veteran status, among other distinctions and contributions. As a College with a Quaker identity, Earlham also is eager to solicit applications from members of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers).