Assistant Volleyball Coach
March 19, 2018
Earlham College is accepting applications for the position of Assistant Volleyball Coach in the Department of Athletics. This is a full-time, 11-month administrative faculty appointment. Salary is commensurate with experience, and includes a full benefit package.
The Assistant Volleyball Coach works to assist the Head Volleyball Coach, performing all duties in compliance with all the rules and regulations of the National Collegiate Athletic Association, the Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference and Earlham College.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Build relationships with prospective student-athletes.
- Plan and host prospective student-athlete visits to campus.
- Assist head coach in responding to contacts generated throughout the year. These include coaches’ mailings, attendance at tournaments, showcases, observing team camps, recruiting services and admissions contacts.
- Establish and maintain recruiting database in Front Rush.
- Perform phone calls and emails to recruits usually 5-10 calls per night, 3-4 nights per week.
- Attend practices and/or games of recruits usually 0 to 1 times per week during season.
- If available assist in summer recruiting efforts by attending club tournaments.
- Office Duties
- Video coordinator – assure that all video exchanges are performed including the filming and copying of our games, the request and secure of future opponent game film and the editing of our games and future opponents tapes.
- Assist the head coach as travel coordinator by arranging bus and van schedules, pre- and post-game meals and overnight accommodations.
- Assist the head coach in monitoring academic progress.
- Be a presence in the office, able to assist player needs.
- Practice/Player Development
- Assist head coach with daily practice plan.
- Assure playing court set-up (i.e., nets, properly inflated balls, clean practice gear.)
- Direct breakdown drills providing individual player attention and more repetitions per player.
- Assist in overseeing weight training and individual workouts.
- Assist in designing off-season workouts for player improvement.
- Scouting/Game Preparation/Game Day Duties
- Assist head coach in game planning and scouting of future opponents
- Assist with game decisions (i.e., timeouts, substitutions, strategy, addressing individual player concerns during game).
- Post-game duties: video exchange, arrange team meal, secure statistics and contact sports information director.
- Help distribute, collect and inventory player gear and equipment.
- Assist with all program fundraisers.
- Be knowledgeable and able to assume head coaching responsibilities in case the head coach is unable to perform her duties.
- Possibility of coaching the men’s club volleyball team as well as serve as the liaison between the men’s and women’s teams.
- Be an active member of the athletics department staff by attending staff meetings, supporting other athletics programs and being responsive to the needs of departmental support staff (director of athletics, support staff, athletic trainer, sports information director, equipment manager).
- All department employees are required to demonstrate exemplary ethical conduct and conformance to NCAA rules and regulations; the duties of the position are to be performed in compliance with all NCAA, Conference and College rules and regulations; and any rules violations on behalf of themselves or any knowledge of violations within the department are to be reported to the appropriate parties. Violation of NCAA and other College or Conference regulations shall be subject to possible disciplinary action.
Experience & Qualifications
- A bachelor’s degree is required.
- Previous collegiate experience whether it be coaching or playing, and/or success as a head coach at the high school level.
- The ability to demonstrate exceptional leadership and a commitment to, and understanding and appreciation of, NCAA Division III athletics and wellness in a private liberal arts college.
- A current and valid driver’s license is required.
All Department of Athletics employees are required to demonstrate exemplary ethical conduct and conformance to NCAA rules and regulations; the duties of the position are to be performed in compliance with all NCAA, Conference and College rules and regulations; and any rules violations on behalf of themselves or any knowledge of violations within the department are to be reported to the appropriate parties. Violation of NCAA and other College or Conference regulations shall be subject to possible disciplinary action.
Please send a letter of interest, resume, and contact information for three references as a single electronic file to the Earlham College Human Resources Office at: email@example.com.
The review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Earlham College is an Equal Opportunity Employer that seeks applications from candidates who contribute to diversity in terms of race, ethnicity, age, religious affiliation, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, and veteran status, among other distinctions and contributions. As a College with a Quaker identity, Earlham also is eager to solicit applications from members of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers).
Earlham utilizes E-Verify to confirm employment eligibility for all newly hired employees within the United States.