Earlham College seeks qualified and enthusiastic candidates for the position of Website Developer and User Experience Strategy Manager. This role will oversee the continuous development and improvement of Earlham’s website and the integration of digital campaigns to advance institutional priorities. Reporting to the Assistant Vice President for Digital Marketing, the Website Developer and User Experience Strategy manager will work to strengthen the institution’s reputation through the creation of dynamic and agile solutions that result in a high-quality, distinctive and results-driven website experience.
This is an opportunity to join an engaged and energized team with a shared commitment to raising Earlham’s profile nationally and internationally. With new leadership, a new WordPress website, and a supportive and strategic team in place, this is a pivotal time for the Office of Marketing and Communications and the College. The College Website Developer and User Experience Strategy Manager will pay an integral role in Earlham’s digital success. This position supports the ongoing development and refinement of the college’s websites, microsites and landing pages. The role maintains the college’s content management system (WordPress) and updates various college websites in partnership with college departments and/or offices. Additionally, this position will ensure that digital campaigns (social and search) are fully integrated and measurable. The successful candidate is skilled in website maintenance and development with an understanding of the higher education environment and diverse audiences. A demonstrated commitment to cross-functional relationship-building and interdepartmental collaboration is a must.
- Designs and manages architectures of websites within a robust content management system (CMS) providing counsel and expertise to a variety of collaborators.
- Maintains, updates and oversees all website content and provides counsel to variety of college partners including Information Technology Services, Admissions, Advancement, Office of the President, Academic Affairs and others.
- Anticipates emerging opportunities to increase web traffic; refine pages, microsites, or templates; or implement functionality that will enhance the user experience.
- Prioritizes website needs and requirements from college offices/departments.
- Monitors, analyzes, and makes recommendations based on-site performance. This includes but is not limited to conversion tracking through SiteImprove or Google Tag Manager/Google Analytics.
- In collaboration with the Assistant Vice President for Digital Marketing and the Director of Communications, implements and manages integrated fully trackable digital campaigns intended to influence constituent behavior (i.e. applying to Earlham, requesting more information, volunteering, donating).
- Builds functional primary and secondary web pages and/or landing pages and microsites.
- Collaborates with marketing and communications staff on landing pages for marketing and/or digital advertising campaigns.
- Tests websites for performance on different devices, browsers and operating systems.
- Establishes a regular QA monitoring schedule to identify and address any broken links, compliance/accessibility issues, typos, underperforming SEO, or other errors.
- Reviews and approves updates submitted by website contributors.
- Develops and delivers training for decentralized unit website contributors within various college units.
- Ensures web security and ADA/accessibility compliance in website design and maintenance.
- Participates actively in the WordPress community and uses that expertise to proactively and continually improve Earlham’s approach to WordPress development and content management.
- Advises the creative team on keyword and content development aligned with SEO best practices. Monitors site to maximize SEO performance.
- Multi-tasks, prioritizes and meets deadlines in a fast-paced work environment.
- Serves as a collegial and collaborative teammate in the Office of Marketing and Communications.
- Effectively tracks and manages web projects using project management software (currently Basecamp).
- Follows the guidance and direction of supervisor(s).
- Demonstrates respectful, ethical, responsible behavior.
- Other duties, including special projects, as required or assigned.
- May supervise student employees.
This document represents the major duties of this job and is not intended to be a complete list of all tasks and functions. Other duties may be assigned.
Required education and experience
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, computer science or other applicable field, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Three years of related experience
- Web development and user experience design
- SEO/SEM/PPC digital
- Working knowledge of website management tools and content management systems, particularly WordPress
- Understanding of and experience in current web standards
- Technical SEO experience and skills, such as scripting, data mining and automation are a strong plus
- Strong troubleshooting and analytical abilities
- Strong communication and teamwork skills
- Attention to detail and outstanding organizational skills
- Demonstrated experience in working with creative teams
- Ability to plan, organize and coordinate work assignments independently, with a demonstrated ability to work as part of a team toward organizational objectives
- Experience using various analytics software
- Ability to multi-task and independently prioritize projects
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment
Knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Demonstrated experience in managing multiple tasks, responding to evolving priorities, and meeting multiple/simultaneous production deadlines
- Ability to work well independently and as a constructive member of a team
- Strong writing and editing skills (familiarity with Associated Press style preferred)
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Cloud
- Proficiency with WordPress
- Ability to work well with students, faculty and staff at all levels within a diverse and collaborative community
- Reliability and attention to detail to ensure accuracy, timeliness and consistency of brand voice and identity
- Serious work ethic balanced with a sense of humor
Candidates from diverse backgrounds are welcome. Please submit the following application materials in a single electronic file:
- Cover letter;
- Portfolio of work;
- 300-500 word statement on diversity, equity, and inclusion in which you concretely detail how your values and professional experience would contribute to Earlham’s commitment to DEI.
- Contact information for three references.
All materials should be submitted to the Earlham College Office of Human Resources at [email protected].
The review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Earlham College is an Equal Opportunity Employer that seeks applications from candidates who contribute to diversity in terms of race, ethnicity, age, religious affiliation, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, and veteran status, among other distinctions and contributions. As a College with a Quaker identity, Earlham also is eager to solicit applications from members of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers).
Earlham utilizes E-Verify to confirm employment eligibility for all newly hired employees within the United States.