The Department of Biology at Earlham College seeks a self-motivated and independent individual to fill the position of Laboratory Manager and Stockroom Supervisor. The Manager is responsible for the overall organization, preparation, and routine operation of Biology instructional laboratories, managing the Biology stockroom, ordering supplies for Biology laboratories and research projects, and helping with logistics of natural history field trips organized by the Biology Department.
Duties and responsibilities
- Set up and clean up laboratories for instructional lab sessions.
- Prepare materials, reagents, media, and solutions for instructional labs.
- Manage the inventory of chemicals and supplies in the Biology stockroom.
- Order supplies and equipment as needed for instructional labs and departmental facilities, and as requested by faculty for research projects.
- Supervise, train, and schedule student workers.
- Oversee the maintenance of laboratory instruments.
- Prepare and put away equipment and supplies for natural history field trips and help with logistical details related to those trips.
- Serve as Campus Biosafety Officer and Animal Care Facilities Manager and liaison with Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC)
- B.A. or B.S. degree in biology or a related science, or four years of experience in laboratory management, is required.
- Excellent organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills are required, as are basic computer skills (Word, Excel, web searching and ordering, email).
- Experience with modern laboratory instrumentation and solution / media preparation are desirable.
- Previous experience supervising, training, and scheduling student workers is preferred.
The position is available June 01, 2021. Review of applications and interviewing will begin immediately. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Please submit the following application materials in a single electronic file:
- Cover letter;
- Statement on Diversity: The Statement on Diversity should describe how your values and leadership frame or center Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) in your work.
- Contact information for three references.
All materials should be submitted to the Earlham College Office of Human Resources at [email protected].
Earlham College is an Equal Opportunity Employer that seeks applications from candidates who contribute to diversity in terms of race, ethnicity, age, religious affiliation, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, and veteran status, among other distinctions and contributions. As a College with a Quaker identity, Earlham also is eager to solicit applications from members of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers).
Earlham utilizes E-Verify to confirm employment eligibility for all newly hired employees within the United States.