Website Department of Athletics
The Assistant Men’s/Women’s Track & Field Coach will be responsible for assisting with managing the conduct and overall supervision of the men’s/women’s cross country program in the fall and track and field program in the spring. The position’s responsibilities will be to recruit, develop and retain student-athletes, coach and develop a highly competitive Division III cross country program in the fall and track and field program in the spring in compliance with NCAA, Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference and Earlham College rules and regulations. The compensation for 2021-2022 is $15,000 with an opportunity to transition to a graduate assistant (one or two year tenure) position in Summer 2022.
Primary duties & responsibilities
- Meet annual recruitment goals established by the Director of Athletics and Head Coach.
- Build relationships with prospective student-athletes.
- Assist the head coach in planning and executing prospective student-athlete visits to campus and with off campus contacts with prospective student-athletes.
- Assist head coach in generating and responding to prospective student-athlete contacts generated throughout the year. These include coaches’ mailings, attendance at high school competitions, recruiting services, and admissions contacts.
- Establish and maintain a recruiting database for recruiting utilizing the software program designated by the Department of Athletics.
- Utilize a variety of communication platforms to recruit prospective student-athletes (e.g., phone calls; texts; social media; emails; etc.).
- Attend competitions of recruits on a regular basis.
- Serve as social media coordinator.
- Assist the head coach in serving as the travel coordinator by arranging bus and van schedules, airline travel, pre and post-game meals and overnight accommodations.
- Assist the head coach in monitoring academic progress of student-athletes.
- Be a presence in the office and available to assist player needs.
- Engage and maintain contact with the sports information office and respond to requests as needed.
- Assist head coach with daily practice plan.
- Assist with all practice and competition day set up.
- Teach drills providing individual player attention.
- Assist in planning and oversight of strength and conditioning sessions and individual work outs in season.
- Assist in designing off season workouts for player improvement.
Competition day responsibilities
- Assist head coach in competition day plan.
- Assist with competition day decisions.
- Responsible for all competition and practice video operations.
- Perform post game duties including, but not limited to, arranging team meal(s), securing statistics; social media plan and communicating with the sports information office.
- Help distribute, collect and inventory player gear and equipment.
- Assist with all program fundraisers and alumni outreach.
- Assist with appropriate program marketing, including social media accounts.
- Be knowledgeable and able to assume head coaching responsibilities in case the head coach is unable to perform his or her duties.
- Attain van certification through Earlham’s Public Safety Office to assist with van transportation of student-athletes.
- Be an active member of the athletic department staff by attending staff meetings and other department scheduled activities,
- Be responsive and timely with all requests from departmental support staff (administrative leadership; athletic trainer(s); etc.).
- Assist in game management duties for other department programs.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Athletics.
Experience & qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree is required.
- High school or collegiate playing experience is desired (any track and field event group experience welcomed).
- The successful candidate will demonstrate exceptional leadership and a commitment to, and understanding and appreciation of, NCAA Division III athletics and wellness in a private liberal arts college.
- Preference will be given to candidates who have experience working on a campus with a diverse student body.
- Current and valid driver’s license required.
All department employees are required to demonstrate exemplary ethical conduct and conformance to NCAA rules and regulations; the duties of the position are to be performed in compliance with all NCAA, Conference and College rules and regulations; and any rules violations on behalf of themselves or any knowledge of violations within the department are to be reported to the appropriate parties. Violation of NCAA and other College or Conference regulations shall be subject to possible disciplinary action.
Please send a letter of interest, resume, statement on diversity, and contact information for three references as a single electronic file to [email protected]
The application review begins immediately, and the search will remain open until the position is filled.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com