Website Earlham College
Earlham College seeks an innovative administrator to provide direction, supervision, and management as part of the Office of Residence Life’s leadership team. We seek a welcoming individual to collaborate with campus constituents to provide oversight of housing operations supporting a dynamic residence education program. This is a full-time, live-on position. Salary is commensurate with education and experience.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
The Assistant Director of Residence Life has overall operational responsibility for a comprehensive residential life program of approximately 800-1000 students and management of eight residence halls, an apartment complex, and about a dozen houses central to a progressive, residential liberal arts college.
- Serve as the primary system administrator for Earlham College’s housing management system – Odyssey HMS/ResCenter.
- Manage the annual room selection process for the selection of housing assignments.
- Enforce housing policies on occupancy, eligibility for housing, refund policies, and living in community in accordance with Earlham’s Principles and Practices.
- Responsible for billing of room charges and meal plans.
- Assign first-year and transfer students, making roommate matches.
- Facilitates room reassignments, opening and closing procedures, early arrivals and late departures, housing for students with special needs, summer housing for students, and guests visiting for camps or conferences.
- Assist with the training and ongoing development of three full-time Area Directors as needed and, by extension, approximately 45 student staff members as directed.
- Serve as an administrative hearing officer as part of the student conduct process and willing to be trained and serve as a Title IX Investigator for the Office of Title IX as needed.
- Works with personnel in the Information Technology, Student Accounts, and Financial Aid to monitor all aspects of BANNER billing for room/meals and data implementation.
- Enters all information in BANNER housing and meal control modules via CBORD’s Odyssey HMS/ResCenter software.
- Implements BANNER and HMS/ResCenter training for support staff on housing and meal modules and website interface.
- Maintains statistics and documentation for Residence Life and Housing procedures and produces regular reports on occupancy, room changes, and meal plan data.
- Supervises and maintains all housing administrative records related to student assignments.
- Responsible for regular communications, including updates to College webpages, and prepares and distributes documentation of housing processes and procedures.
- Serves as the primary supervisor of student house conveners on all administrative procedures and overall management of house resident programmatic initiatives and concerns.
- Assists in providing leadership and vision for programmatic development for Residence Life.
- Work cooperatively with other offices and departments to achieve a positive campus and residential environment for students.
- Demonstrates an active commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion while improving the student experience at Earlham.
- Serves as a regular contributing member of the Student Life staff, assisting with division-wide programs and student retention initiatives.
- Maintains willingness and readiness to serve as a resource for community development and Residence Life programming.
- Gives direct support for college-wide crisis intervention and conflict management. An example includes serving as part of the on-call response team supporting Residence Life staff and Public Safety.
- Collaborates with the facilities and housekeeping staff on the overall general upkeep of properties used for student housing.
- Serves on College and Student Life committees as appointed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Experience & Qualifications
- Graduate degree in student personnel, higher education or a related field preferred.
- Minimum of three years experience of full-time professional experience in Residence Life.
- Experience using BANNER or another comparable student information systems database is required.
- Valid driver’s license is required.
Experience using CBORD’s Odyssey HMS/ResCenter is preferred.
- Experience using Maxient case management software is preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
Preference will also be given to those candidates with experience in the area of student affairs assessment. Candidates should have a clear understanding of the role of residence life at a private liberal arts college.
Please submit the following application materials in a single electronic file:
- Cover letter;
- Statement on Diversity: The Statement on Diversity should describe how your values and leadership frame or center Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) in your work.
- Contact information for three references.
All materials should be submitted to the Earlham College Human Resources Office at: [email protected].