Website Earlham College
Earlham College Athletics is seeking a Part Time Assistant Director of Athletic Communications. The Assistant Director of Athletic Communications will be responsible for supporting the efforts of the Department of Athletics and the Athletics Communications office by assisting in the day-to-day operations, communications and public relations efforts for Earlham’s 17 NCAA Division III varsity sports, under the supervision of the Director of Athletic Communications. The goal is to promote the intercollegiate athletics program to current and prospective students, parents, alumni, faculty and staff, media and other constituencies.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following functions:
- Responsible for assigned sports coverage of typical game-day athletics communications operations (keeping statistics and submitting game files to conference and NCAA websites, website updates, social media, rosters, recaps, press releases, etc.)
- Help maintain and update athletics website, GoEarlham.com, including but not limited to coach and student-athlete bios, rosters, schedules, records, archives, etc.
- Content creation in written, video, social media, graphic, and other innovative formats to promote the achievements of Earlham athletic programs and student-athletes.
- Assist with webcasting operations at athletic contests, including equipment set-up, take down, and training of student-assistants.
- Help manage Earlham Athletics’ primary social media accounts, including in-game content creation and oversight of student-assistants.
- Daily office work as assigned by the Director of Athletic Communications.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Director of Athletic Communications.
- The Assistant Director of Athletics Communications may be able to work remotely on days with no home events, with the following expectations: they are available during normal weekday office hours except on mutually-agreed days off; have sufficient internet and cell phone service to support remote work; be on-campus for home athletic events and other dates as needed.
Experience & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree required; Bachelor’s degree in a related field (i.e. sport management, journalism, mass communications, broadcast communications, etc.) or similar area of study preferred.
- Prior experience in sports information/athletics communications/athletics public relations is required.
- Strong computer skills including significant experience with Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe Creative Suite (with particular emphasis on Photoshop, InDesign, Acrobat) are required; experience with any NLE video software (preferably Final Cut Pro X or Adobe Premiere Pro) is preferred.
- Experience with statistics programs (StatCrew, PrestoStats, NCAA Live Stats) is required.
- Experience in website maintenance is required; previous experience with SIDEARM Sports or PrestoSports content management systems is preferred.
- Managing and creating content for athletics social media accounts is preferred.
- Strong ability to multi-task, set priorities, and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work nights and weekends is required.
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills.
- Ability to effectively interact with a wide variety of people.
All department employees are required to demonstrate exemplary ethical conduct and conformance to NCAA rules and regulations; the duties of the position are to be performed in compliance with all NCAA, Conference and College rules and regulations; and any rules violations on behalf of themselves or any knowledge of violations within the department are to be reported to the appropriate parties. Violation of NCAA or Earlham College regulations shall be subject to possible disciplinary action.
Please submit the following application materials:
- Cover letter;
- Statement on Diversity
- Three professional writing samples (academic writing samples are not acceptable);
- Five samples of creative work, such as print or digital graphic design projects, or video projects
(providing a link to an online portfolio website is acceptable);
- Contact information for three references.
All materials should be submitted as a single electronic file to the Earlham College Human Resources Office at: [email protected]. Providing a link to an online portfolio website is acceptable in lieu of submitting the samples of creative work in the single electronic file.