Head Men’s Golf Coach
November 16, 2020
The Head Men’s Golf Coach will be responsible for the conduct and overall supervision of the Men’s golf program. The position’s main responsibilities will be to recruit; develop and retain student-athletes; monitor academic success of student-athletes; coach and develop a highly competitive NCAA Division III Men’s golf program in compliance with NCAA, Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference and Earlham College rules and regulations.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following functions:
- Meet or exceed annual recruitment goals established in collaboration with the Director of Athletics.
- Develop annual overall recruitment strategy, including strategic opportunities to increase diversity of student-athletes within the program, while generating weekly recruiting reports.
- Maintain or exceed optimal roster size annually.
- Build relationships with prospective student-athletes and their families.
- Work closely with Admissions and other campus offices to recruit outstanding student-athletes.
- Plan and coordinate prospective student-athlete visits to campus and off campus contacts with prospective student-athletes.
- Attend tournaments, visit high schools, attend practices and/or tournaments of recruits on a regular basis.
- Establish and maintain recruiting data base utilizing athletic department recruiting software.
- Maintain regular communication with prospective student-athletes and their families utilizing various communication tools (e.g. phone calls, text, emails, etc.) on a regular basis to maintain interest.
- Utilize social media platforms in recruitment efforts consistent with NCAA DIII rules.
Practice/Player Development & Match/Tournament Day Responsibilities
- Develop and sustain a competitive program consistent with the athletic department vision.
- Effectively teach individual skills, team concepts, and competitive values.
- Prepare and execute practice sessions, golf course strategy sessions and competition plans.
- Assist in overseeing strength training and individual work outs in season.
- Assist in designing off-season workouts for player improvement.
- Perform post tournament/match duties including, but not limited to, arranging team meal(s), securing statistics and contacting the sports information office.
- Support, monitor and track academic success and personal growth of each student-athlete for the purposes that include retention and completion.
- Help orient student-athletes to the policies and regulations of the College, the HCAC and the NCAA
- Oversee the conduct of student-athletes and discipline of student-athletes as needed.
- Prepare team competition and practice schedules guided by the athletic department Scheduling and Principles document that meet NCAA, conference, and Earlham regulations.
- Prepare and operate a fiscally sound program with an annual balanced budget.
- Inventory, purchase, and maintain equipment and uniforms.
- Work with the Athletics Communication’s office to aid in the promotion of the team and Earlham College.
- Utilize social media platforms to promote and generate interest in the Men’s Golf Program, Athletic Department and Earlham College.
- Prepare and maintain accurate records and reports.
- Coordinate bus and van schedules, pre and post-game meals, lodging and overnight accommodations.
- Be a presence in the office and available to assist with student-athlete needs.
- Demonstrate leadership, sportsmanship, and mature conduct as the head coach of the program.
- Positively represent Earlham to all on and off campus constituency groups, as well as in conference, regional, and national coaching associations.
- Develop annual fundraising and alumni outreach plan collaborating with the Director of Athletics and Institutional Advancement.
- Be an active member of the athletic department and administrative faculty member of Earlham College by attending staff meetings, other athletic department activities, including supporting other athletic programs and being responsive to the needs of departmental support staff (administrative leadership, support staff, athletic trainer(s), etc.); and the institution (i.e. institutional committees, admissions events, faculty meetings).
- Assist athletic department as needed, including but not limited to, game management duties and supervision.
- Attain van certification through Earlham’s Public Safety Office to assist with van transportation of student-athletes.
- Understand and support the basic mission of the College.
- Teach activity courses in the Athletics, Wellness, and Physical Education (AWPE) curriculum as needed.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Athletics.
Experience & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree is required, Master’s preferred.
- Previous collegiate coaching experience or demonstrated is preferred.
- Collegiate playing experience is desired.
- A successful record of recruiting, developing and retaining student-athletes is essential.
- The successful candidate will demonstrate exceptional leadership and a commitment to, and understanding and appreciation of, NCAA Division III athletics and wellness in a private liberal arts college.
- Preference will be given to candidates who have experience working on a campus with a diverse student body.
- Current and valid driver’s license required.
All department employees are required to demonstrate exemplary ethical conduct and conformance to NCAA rules and regulations; the duties of the position are to be performed in compliance with all NCAA, Conference and College rules and regulations; and any rules violations on behalf of themselves or any knowledge of violations within the department are to be reported to the appropriate parties. Violation of NCAA and other College or Conference regulations shall be subject to possible disciplinary action.
Please send a letter of interest, statement on diversity, resume, and contact information for three references as a single electronic file to the Earlham College Human Resources Office at: HR@Earlham.edu
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Earlham College is an Equal Opportunity Employer that seeks applications from candidates who contribute to diversity in terms of race, ethnicity, age, religious affiliation, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, and veteran status, among other distinctions and contributions. As a College with a Quaker identity, Earlham also is eager to solicit applications from members of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers).
Earlham utilizes E-Verify to confirm employment eligibility for all newly hired employees within the United States.