Communications Director — Marketing and Communications
February 12, 2020
Earlham College is accepting applications for the position of Communications Director in the Marketing and Communications Office. This is a full-time, 12-month administrative faculty appointment. Salary is commensurate with experience, and includes a benefit package.
The Communications Director is a creative, highly proficient writer/editor who manages the content needs and daily operations of the Marketing and Communications office, serving as the point person for all non-web projects and responsible for coordinating the resources and schedules necessary to ensure successful work flow and project completion.
This position reports to the Vice President for Marketing and Communications and has two direct reports, the College Editor and the Graphic Designer. The Communications Director will eventually also supervise a Staff Photographer when that position is filled.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
Manages Marketing and Communications non-web content needs and daily operations by:
- Serving as the initial point of contact for campus clients to understand their needs, suggest creative solutions, create a project, establish deadlines, and coordinate resources for project completion.
- Tracking and communicating project status to adhere to deadlines and meet client expectations.
- Obtaining price quotes for printing, mailing and other services, and managing these vendors.
- Lining up appropriate photography, illustrations and freelance writers.
- Directing the work of freelancers.
- Editing copy.
- Shaping the design and content of materials under development.
- Tracking project budgets and processing invoices.
- Overseeing development of all non-web materials, including the Earlhamite alumni magazine.
- Initiating and coordinating the repurposing of content for additional uses.
- Assisting with writing and editing of materials as necessary.
Experience & Qualifications
- A bachelor's degree in marketing, communications or a related field is required.
- Experience managing projects, writers and designers, preferably in higher education — project management certification a plus.
- Exceptional organizational and prioritization skills.
- Strong people/interpersonal skills.
- Excellence in writing and editing.
- Experience using project management systems such as Basecamp.
- Passion for building and maintaining strong client relationships.
- Excellent communication abilities, including oral, written, listening and presentation skills.
- Understanding of marketing tactics and tools.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and other common software programs such as Google Docs.
- Familiarity with project management systems a plus.
Please send a letter of application addressing the responsibilities of the position and qualifications of the applicant; a statement on diversity; resume; and the name, position, title, email address and phone number of three professional references in a single PDF or MS Word file to:
Human Resources Office
801 National Road West
Richmond, Indiana 47374-4095
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Earlham College is an Equal Opportunity Employer that seeks applications from candidates who contribute to diversity in terms of race, ethnicity, age, religious affiliation, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, and veteran status, among other distinctions and contributions. As a College with a Quaker identity, Earlham also is eager to solicit applications from members of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers).