Assistant Men's and Women's Tennis Coach
October 17, 2019
Earlham College is accepting applications for the position of Assistant Men's and Women's Tennis Coach in the Department of Athletics. This is a full-time, 12-month administrative faculty appointment. The Assistant Men's and Women's Tennis Coach reports to the Head Men's and Women's Tennis Coach.
The Assistant Men’s and Women’s Tennis Coach will be responsible for supporting the efforts of the tennis programs and working to assist the Head Coach in performing all duties in compliance with all NCAA, Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference, and Earlham College rules and regulations.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following functions:
- Meet annual recruitment goals established by the Director of Athletics and Head Coach.
- Build relationships with prospective student-athletes and their families.
- Assist the head coach in planning and executing prospective student-athlete visits to campus and with off-campus contacts with prospective student-athletes.
- Assist head coach in generating and responding to prospective student-athlete contacts generated throughout the year. These include coaches’ mailings, attendance at tournaments and showcases, observing team camps, recruiting services, and admission contacts.
- Establish and maintain recruiting database for recruiting utilizing the software program designated by the Department of Athletics.
- Utilize a variety of communication platforms to recruit prospective student-athletes (e.g., phone calls; texts; social media; emails; etc.).
- Attend practices and/or games of recruits on a regular basis.
- Assist in summer recruiting efforts by attending showcases and other recruitment opportunities as designated by the Head Coach.
- Assist the head coach in serving as the travel coordinator by arranging bus and van schedules, airline travel, pre- and post-game meals and overnight accommodations.
- Attain van certification through Earlham’s Public Safety Office to assist with van transportation of student-athletes.
- Assist the head coach in monitoring academic progress of student-athletes and coordinate study tables.
- Be a presence in the office and available to assist player needs.
- Engage and maintain contact with the Sports Marketing and Communications Office and respond to requests as needed.
- Assist head coach with daily practice plan.
- Assist with all practice and game day set up.
- Teach breakdown drills providing individual player attention and more repetitions per player.
- Assist in planning and oversight of strength and conditioning sessions and individual workouts in season.
- Assist in designing off-season workouts for player improvement.
Game Day Responsibilities
- Assist head coach in game planning.
- Perform post-game duties including, but not limited to, arranging team meal(s), securing statistics; and communicating with the Sports Marketing and Communications Office.
- Help distribute, collect and inventory player gear and equipment.
- Assist with all program fundraisers and alumni outreach.
- Assist with appropriate program marketing, including social media accounts.
- Be knowledgeable and able to assume head coaching responsibilities in case the head coach is unable to perform his or her duties.
- Be an active member of the athletics department staff by attending staff meetings and other department-scheduled activities.
- Be responsive and timely with all requests from departmental support staff (administrative leadership; athletic trainer(s); etc.).
- Assist in game management duties for other department programs.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Director of Athletics.
Experience & Qualifications
- A bachelor’s degree is required.
- Previous collegiate coaching or playing experience and/or success as a head coach at the high school level.
- The successful candidate will demonstrate exceptional leadership and a commitment to, and understanding and appreciation of, NCAA Division III athletics and wellness in a private liberal arts college.
- Preference will be given to candidates who have experience working on a campus with a diverse student body.
- A current and valid driver's license is required.
Please send a letter of interest, resume, and contact information for three references as a single electronic file to the Earlham College Human Resources Office at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Earlham College is an Equal Opportunity Employer that seeks applications from candidates who contribute to diversity in terms of race, ethnicity, age, religious affiliation, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, and veteran status, among other distinctions and contributions. As a College with a Quaker identity, Earlham also is eager to solicit applications from members of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers).
Earlham utilizes E-Verify to confirm employment eligibility for all newly hired employees within the United States.