I was born in Korea, was educated in Canada, and now teach in the United States. I am the author or editor of 20 books, most recently, Invisible, Hope in Disarray; Keeping Hope Alive; and Intersectional Theology. I am a Series Co-Editor for Palgrave Macmillan Series, “Asian Christianity in the Diaspora” and have served on the American Academy of Religion’s Board of Directors.
I write for Baptist News Global, Sojourners, Faith and Leadership and Wabash Center and have published in TIME, The Huffington Post, Christian Century, US Catholic Magazine and The Nation. I am the host of Madang podcast which is hosted by the Christian Century and am an ordained Presbyterian Church (USA) minister. More of my writing and work can be found on my blog site Loving Life.
- Ph.D., University of Toronto
- M.Div, University of Toronto
- B.S., University of Toronto
- American Academy of Religion (AAR)
- Society of Race, Ethnicity and Religion (SRER)
- Social Ethnics Network (SEN)
- Asian Pacific American Religions Research Initiative (APARRI)
- Spirit Life, London: Darton, Longman and Todd, 2022.
- Invisible: Theology and the Experience of Asian American Women, Minneapolis: Fortress Press, 2021.
- Hope in Disarray: Piecing our Lives Together in Faith, Cleveland: The Pilgrim Press, 2020.
- Reimagining Spirit: Light, Wind and Vibration, Eugene: Cascade, 2019.
- Keeping Hope Alive: Sermons and Speeches of Rev. Jesse Jackson, Maryknoll: Orbis Books, 2019.
- Intersectional Theology: An Introductory Guide, with Susan Shaw, Minneapolis: Fortress Press, 2018.
- The Homebrewed Christianity Guide to the Holy Spirit, Minneapolis: Fortress Press, 2018.
- Healing Our Broken Humanity: Practices for Revitalizing the Church and Renewing the World, with Graham Hill, Westmont: IVP, 2018.
- Mother Daughter Speak: Lessons on Life, with Elisabeth Sophia Lee, Cleveland: FAR Press, 2017 (reprinted by Wipf and Stock, 2020).
- Planetary Solidarity: Global Women’s Voices on Doctrine and Climate Justice, co-edited with Hilda Koster, Minneapolis: Fortress Press, 2017
- Intercultural Ministry: Hope for a Changing World, co-edited with Jann Aldredge-Clanton, Valley Forge: Judson Press, 2017
- Making Peace with the Earth: Action and Advocacy for Climate Justice, Geneva: World Council of Churches Publications, 2016.
- Here I Am: Faith Stories of Korean American Clergywomen, Valley Forge: Judson Press, 2015.
- Christian Doctrines for Global Gender Justice, co-edited with Jenny Daggers, New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2015.
- Embracing the Other: The Transformative Spirit of Love, Grand Rapids: Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co., 2015.
- Theological Reflections on “Gangnam Style”: A Racial, Sexual and Cultural Critique, with Joseph Cheah, New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2014.
- Contemplations from the Heart: Spiritual Reflections on Family, Community, and the Divine, Eugene: Wipf and Stock, 2014.
- Reimagining with Christian Doctrines: Responding to Global Gender Injustices, co-edited with Jenny Daggers, New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2014.
- Colonialism, Han, and the Transformative Spirit, New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2013.
- The Holy Spirit, Chi, and the Other: A Model of Global and Intercultural Pneumatology, New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2011.
- The Grace of Sophia: A Korean North American Women’s Christology, Cleveland: The Pilgrim Press, 2002, (reprint Eugene: Wipf & Stock Publishers, 2010).
Selected Book Chapters:
- Afterword in Sunburnt Country, Sweeping Pains, Far Horizons, Graham Joseph Hill, Eugene: Wipf and Stock Publishers, 2022.
- “Korean American Women and the Church” in Cultural History of Women in
- Christianity, ed. Janet Wooten, London: Routledge, 2022.
- Foreword in Call to be Bless, Robert Cornwall, Eugene: Cascade Publishers, 2021, p. ix-xii.
- “Climate Justice is for All,” in Gathered in my Name: Ecumenism in the World Church, ed. Bill Cavanaugh, Eugene: Cascade, 2020, p. 140-154.
- Foreword in An Introduction to Postcolonial Theologies, Randy Woodley & Bo Sanders, Eugene: Wipf and Stock, 2020, p. vii-xi.
- Foreword in Holding Up Half the Sky, Graham Joseph Hill, Eugene: Cascade Books, 2020, p. xvii-xviii.
- Foreword in Salt, Light and a City, Second Edition, Introducing Missional Ecclesiology: Majority World Voices, Graham Hill, Eugene: Cascade Books, 2020, ix-xii.
- “Where Are You REALLY From?”: Racism,” in Encountering the Sacred, ed. Grace
- Kao & Rebecca Todd Peters, London: T & T Clark, 2018: 75-88.
- “Constructive Theology,” in Theologians and Philosophers Using Social Media, ed. Thomas Jay Oord, Durham: SacraSage Press, 2017: 247-252.
- “Prayer,” in What did Jesus Ask?: Today’s Christian Leaders Illuminate the Words of Christ, ed. Elizabeth Dias, New York: Time, 2015: 177-180.
- “Asian American Liberative Theologies,” in Introducing Liberative Theologies, ed. Miguel De La Torre, Maryknoll: Orbis Books, 2015: 135-151.
- “Writing Publicly,” in Writing Theologically, ed. Eric Barreto, Minneapolis: Fortress Press, 2015: 73- 86.
- “Proper 13 for Year A,” in Preaching God’s Transformative Justice, ed. Ron Lewis, Dale P. Andrews & Dawn Ottoni-Wilhelm, Louisville: WJK Press, 2013: 339-345.
- 2 Theological Commentaries, Wisdom of Solomon 1:16 – 2:1, 12-22 & Psalm 54, in Feasting on the Word, Year B: Proper 20, ed. David L. Bartlett & Barbara Brown Taylor, Louisville: Westminster John Knox Press, 2012.
- “Jurgen Moltmann,” in Beyond the Pale, ed. Miguel De La Torre & Stacey M. Floyd-Thomas, Louisville: Westminster John Knox Press, 2011: 245-253.
- Oct 2022: Keynote Speaker, Fuller Seminary Missiology Lectures: “Power, Agency, and Women in the Mission of God,” Pasadena, CA.
- May 2022: Commencement Speaker, Central Seminary, Shawnee, KS.
- April 2022: “Reimagining Spirit”, Spring Lectures, ESR, Richmond, IN.
- Nov 2021 : 2 Papers: “Spirit (qi, energeia) as a Transreligious Category” and “Pneumatology and Gender Justice,” AAR, San Antonio, Texas
- Nov 2021: “Invisible” Public Lecture & Class Lecture at Georgetown University, Washington, DC.
- Oct 2021: Hope in Disarray, Church of the Heavenly Rest, Manhattan, NY
- Oct 2021: “Inclusive Justice and the Challenges of Intersectionality,” Brite Divinity School, Fort Worth, TX.
- Oct 2021: Keynote Speaker-Verge 3.0 Leadership Conference, Northwest Coast Presbytery, Bellingham, WA
- July 2021: Panelist: “Beyond Freedom to Equality: Leveling the Playing Field in the Era of COVID” Annual Rainbow PUSH Coalition Conference
- May 2021: Workshop “Publishing a Book: Conversation with Editors” Pacific, Asian, and North American Asian Women in Theology and Ministry
- May 2021: “Intersectional Theology” Workshop at the Justice Conference, Australia
- May 2021: Speaker at 4D Leadership Conference, Baptist Churches of South, Australia
- May 2021: Speaker: Women International Leadership Conference, Jacobs University, Germany
- April 2021: “Anti-Asian Racism” Lecture at Gordon College, MA
- April 2021: Lecture: “Anti-Asian Racism” Bedford Presbyterian Church, Bedford, NY
- March 2021: Robert C. Stuart Lecture Series, “Reconciliation with self, family, nation, and theology”, Christ Church Cathedral, Houston, TX
- Feb 2021: Diversity Lecture “A Theological Journey Toward Shalom & Justice for All” & Preach at chapel, Seattle Pacific University, Seattle, WA
- August 2020: “Witness of Churches on the Path to Healing Racism: A Theological Exploration,” Church of the Brethren, Intercultural Ministries
- July 2020: “Theology in a Time of Crisis,” TheoCon Conf, University of Edinburgh
- July 2020: Keynote: “Exploring the Holy Spirit: Movers & Shaker of Ideas and Actions.” Church of the Brethren Annual Conference, Grand Rapids, MI
- April 2020: Preacher, Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary, Boston, MA