Faculty Application for the Experiential Learning Fund
The ELF is a dedicated fund reserved for teaching faculty who wish to pursue new experiential learning opportunities with their students. This fund is meant to encourage new experiential opportunities for students and faculty and is not meant to offset regular departmental or course experiences that should be part of the annual budgeting process or course fee structure. Experiential learning opportunities may be non-credit bearing but should be explicitly connected to a course or curricular program. A limited number of grants are available each year with a maximum award of $2,000 per course or experience.
Funding may be requested for:
- Travel grants to pay expenses related to taking students to an event, exhibit or another experience that is explicitly integrated into course content, goals and/or learning outcomes.
- Local grants to help fund immersion experiences integrated into existing or new courses such as community-based learning and research.
- Experiential learning opportunities initiated by an academic program or department (such as a new senior capstone experience trip or a sophomore new major experience trip).
- Summer, breaks or between-term (December - January) immersion experiences, “mini-courses” and/or study trips that are clearly related to course content, goals and/or learning outcomes.
Non-eligible experiences include (but are not limited to):
- May Terms (expenses should be built into May Term fees and tuition)
- Academic conference travel for faculty and students (Contact the Academic Dean for information about the availability of funds.)
- Summer faculty-student collaborative research. (Consider Summer Research Funding or EPIC Advantage funding)
- Experiences not explicitly integrated into course and/or academic content
- Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis throughout the academic year.
- ELF grant applications must leave adequate time for review (approximately 2-3 weeks).
- Qualifying grants are on a first-come, first-served basis. Please plan ahead.
- To apply, please fill out the application form.
- Questions? Contact Maggie Thomas at email@example.com or ext. 1451.