The Earlham College Admission Staff values the wonderful experiences that many students pursue through a post-graduate experiential year. Each year, a number of requests are granted for a year’s enrollment deferment. When submitted by the May 1st National Candidates’ Reply Date, such requests are approved typically under the following conditions:
- The student requesting the deferment must provide a description of how s/he plans to utilize the year for personal growth.
- Like an Early Decision admission pledge, in the deferral request the student must pledge to enroll at Earlham in the ensuing academic year, and will neither request deferment at any other college nor seek admission at any other college during the deferred year. The request should also be signed by the student’s parents or legal guardian.
- If college-level coursework is a required feature of the student’s desired experience it must be approved by Earlham and cannot exceed a total of three course credits. The student, however, may not enroll as a degree-seeking student at another college. [If the student wishes to do so then s/he may apply as a transfer student in the coming year.]
- The student must pay the $250 confirmation deposit by the May 1st National Candidates’ Reply Date.
- Finally, the student is required to submit a final high school transcript. [As in all cases, Earlham reserves the right to rescind an offer of admission if a student’s grades change significantly from those originally submitted as part of the required application for admission materials.]
If a request for deferment is approved, Earlham will reserve a place in the next year’s First Year Class for the student. It will also reserve any merit-based scholarship award extended with the original offer of admission. A deferred student must reapply for need-based financial assistance.
If a student cannot commit to the aforementioned conditions, then the student’s request for deferment will not be approved. Instead, the student may elect to re-apply for admission during the coming year.
The College’s ability to approve requests for enrollment deferment after May 1 is contingent upon the reasons for the delayed request and whether the Admission Staff has already released students on its waiting list for admission.
Questions? Contact the Admission Office by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or by phone (800-327-4426 or 765-983-1600).