In the midst of a global pandemic, the Earlham College Center for Global Health continues in its mission to prepare students for successful careers in a variety of health fields. The COVID-19 pandemic has created numerous and considerable unknowns in student preparation and planning for medical and other pre-health professional schools. We hope this page provides any student access to resources to help them navigate the current climate in pre-health advising.
For Earlham advisers and students:
Please review the following application timeline and instructions for the Center for Global Health - Health Externship and Community Medicine programs.
Live Application Question and Answer Sessions via Zoom (Invitations will be sent out prior to dates below)
- Tuesday, April 14th, at 7:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, April 15th, at Noon
- Community Medicine - Friday, April 17th, at 11:59 p.m.
- Health Externship - Friday, April 17th, at 11:59 p.m.
Direct Link to Program Applications:
For students and alums, considering applying to pre-professional health program this or coming cycles:
1. How to stay active with your professional development for pre-professional schools given lockdown conditions:
If you are looking for ways to stay professionally engaged or active during this time of social distancing, please review this document. It also has embedded links to specific professional school (Allopathic and Osteopathic Medicine, Physician Assistant, Athletic Training, Pharmacy, Dental, Optometry and Veterinary) sites so you can access updates.
2. Are you curious in finding out how pre-professional schools will assess Credit/No Credit courses?
The following represent dynamic google sheets providing information about many pre-health school policies regarding pass/fail and credit/no credit options. This resource is made available through our good colleagues at NAAHP. They are not exhaustive, yet should be periodically updated. It will be wise to examine specific school and program websites for the most up-to-date and accurate information.
3. Are you planning to take the MCAT exam or has your MCAT date been canceled?
The cancellation of recent MCAT test dates has affected many students. Please review the FAQ from AMCAS
4. All pre-health applicants should be prepared to respond to formal and informal prompts from health profession schools pertaining to the current COVID-19 pandemic.
In fact, AACOMAS is already pursuing an additional application essay relating to student resilience towards and reflection on the pandemic. We expect other schools to follow this trend. Undoubtedly, future applicant interviews will incorporate COVID-19 inquiries and topics as well. Therefore, it would serve you well to begin organizing your thoughts, reflections, personal challenges as you continue to cope with this modern global health event.