Tyler Hall Renovation

 

Originally built in 1907 as one of two Carnegie Libraries in Indiana, Tyler Hall served as Earlham College’s library until the opening of Lilly Library in 1964. At that time it underwent renovations and was re named for Leon and Minnie Tyler, 1906 graduates of Earlham College that had distinguished careers in education and education administration. It served as the home of the social sciences until 2002 with the opening of the Landrum Bolling Center. While the first floor was still used for some music programs, the basement, 2nd floor and attic were vacant and the building fell into disrepair.

Viewed by many as an eyesore, the logical course of action seemed to be demolition. Upon the arrival of President David Dawson in 2011 , the future of the building was re-addressed. Deemed structurally sound with undeniable historical significance, Earlham College’s Board of Trustees approved a $5.6 million renovation. The design of the building was entrusted to Kirkwood Design Studio, pc of Bloomington, Ind.

Renovations of Tyler Hall began in the summer of 2012, and the building was re-dedicated on October 18, 2013. It now serves as the campus’ Welcome Center and the home for the Offices of Admissions, Financial Aid, and Marketing and Communications.

Tyler -drawing 

Print Friendly and PDF

Earlham College, an independent, residential college, aspires to provide the highest-quality undergraduate education in the liberal arts, including the sciences, shaped by the distinctive perspectives of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers).

Earlham College
801 National Road West
Richmond, Indiana
47374-4095
1-765-983-1200 — Main Switchboard
1-800-EARLHAM (327-5426) — Admissions