Richmond, Indiana: A Home Away from Home for Earlham Students
With plentiful opportunities for recreation, and a variety of local shops and restaurants, Richmond, Indiana has plenty to discover when students venture off campus. Richmond is also within driving distance from big cities like Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Chicago and Louisville.
Earlham and the Wayne County area host modern, globally aware, diverse communities. The College and the community enjoy a strong, mutually beneficial connection.
- The College’s day-to-day operations contributes more than $50 million toward the local economy every year.
- Earlham employs nearly 400 area citizens, making it among the top 10 employers in the county.
- Many of Earlham’s students participate in service activities in the community, accounting for about 23,000 volunteer hours annually.
- Earlham hosts an active calendar of events open to the Richmond community.
- The College founded the Earlham Community Partnership Council, a group of local community leaders, College representatives and Earlham students. The Partnership Council advises the College on matters concerning the local community, providing an important link between the two.
- The Chamber also recognized the College's committment to working with local contractors with the Bob Rosa Buy Local Award in 2014.
- The Boys & Girls Clubs of Wayne County gave the College the Earl and Kathryn Mayer Award in 2014. The award is given anually to a partner that improves the lives of local youth.
Alums find niche at Club
Volunteering at the Richmond Boys & Girls Clubs (BGC) were transformative experiences for Stacey Steele ’02 and Alicia (Kees) Painter ‘11. Painter came to Earlham thinking she wanted to teach, while Steele thought she would study English and journalism. Steele has worked full time at BGC since 2003 and is now Director of Education, and Painter began just after graduating and is Director of the Jeffers Unit.
For more information on Earlham's connection with Richmond and Wayne County, contact:
Vice President of