Want to get the inside scoop on your class reunion celebration? Be at the forefront of your class reunion efforts by volunteering to be on the committee!
Each Earlham class reconnects on campus every five years to celebrate their class reunion. We are currently preparing to celebrate classes ending in 5 and 0 during Homecoming and Reunion Weekend 2015, October 30-November 1.
The Alumni Office works with each reunion class to assemble a reunion committee to serve as voices for the class throughout the year of the reunion. Committee members are involved in the initial brainstorming phase, planning a variety of activities, spearheading the class giving effort and building enthusiasm for attending the reunion. The committee communicates with each other and the Alumni Office via email, conference call and in-person (when possible) throughout the reunion process starting as early as the winter before the reunion.
Best planning practices and some expectations for reunion committee members include:
- Making decisions about class reunion activities, such as helping select venues on campus and in the Richmond area, choosing menus and planning other activities that would be of interest to friends and classmates.
- Assisting in setting class fundraising goals.
- Drafting letters that generate interest in the reunion and help raise funds for the class giving effort.
- Leading by example and demonstrating personal support for the class gift by making a financial contribution.
- Contacting classmates via phone and email to encourage them to attend the reunion and consider making a gift.
- Maintaining a Facebook page, or similar social media site, for classmates to stay updated and engaged throughout the entire reunion process and increase excitement.
- Announcing the class giving total and participation to date, as well as thank volunteers and donors at the class dinner.
- After the reunion, follow up with classmates to remind them the importance of making a contribution toward the class goal.