The Free Store is back and in a new location (Dennis 211). The hours are Monday through Friday 9:00 am to 5:00 pm and Saturdays 2:00 pm to 4:00 pm.
The Earlham Free Store is a place for useable items to be exchanged. It is meant to help the Earlham community foster an economy of shared resources. The Earlham Free Store works to reduce the amount of waste that ends up in the landfill by giving unwanted items a second life.
We ask that those donating to the Free Store maintain high standards in donating to maintain health and cleanliness. We ask that you wash all clothing before donating as we do not have the resources to wash donations at this time. Since we cannot guarantee that all clothing has been washed prior to donation we also recommend washing items before wearing them. When you being items in to donate please leave them on the table in the back of the room to be sorted, counted, and displayed by a Free Store worker. If you take items from the Free Store we ask that you update the "items out" tally on the chalkboard at the front of the room.
See below for acceptable and unacceptable items.
- Under garments
- Used toothbrushes
- Used bath sponges
- Washed and wearable clothing in good condition
- Accessories: belts, jewelry, bags, hats, ties, scarves, gloves
- Office supplies (gently used)
- Toys and games
- Bedding: sheets, pillows and blankets
- Craft supplies
- Working electronics
- Household items: clean kitchenware, cleaning supplies
Other Donation Options
Another option for donating items that are gently used and no longer wanted is to donate them to local thrift stores. Richmond has many thrift stores you can donate to including:
- Abilities, 220 South 5th Street
- Fabulous Finds, 935 East Main Street
- Goodwill, 3791 National Road East
- Sassy Seconds, 809 East Main Street (this is a consignment shop, your items will be sold and you will make a portion of the profit)
- Helping Hands, 808 Liberty Avenue
- Salvation Army, 520 South 5th Street