Earlham Dining Service (Metz) is the sole approved food service provider on campus, and by contract retains the right of first refusal to provide food for catered and served food events on campus using Earlham funds or by 3rd party contracts during times when Earlham Dining Service is open.
If you wish to apply for an exemption from this policy in order to provide food from another source when Earlham Dining Service is open, forms are available from the dining office. The form must be completed 2 weeks (14 days) prior to the requested exception.
- Approved outside food vendors must be on file with Metz and Events and Operations providing appropriate food service certifications including a food liability waiver, appropriate liability insurance, as well as all serving vessels, hot and cold holding devices, china and/or disposable items, linens, etc when providing food on the Earlham campus or Earlham sponsored food event.
- All food must be maintained at the appropriate temperatures for holding and service
- Any open flame warmer or cooking must be supervised by certified food service personnel
- Pick up of food items are available to save on costs.
- Events serving seventy-five (75) or more require three (3) full weeks prior notice – events serving less than seventy-five (75) require a 2 week notice.
- Menus must be finalized 1 week prior, with final counts and account numbers confirmed at least three (3) business days in advance of event.
- Events with less than 5 business day prior approval will be limited to punch, hot drinks, cookies, box meals, pizza, pasta, or simple deli setup.
- During New Student Orientation, homecoming and commencement weeks, ALL events must be approved 21 business days prior by both event office and Earlham Dining Service.
- No catering service will be finalized without time, location, and account number.
- A service charge will be added to catering events less than $25.
- Buffet service requires a minimum of fifteen (15) people, events serving less than fifteen (15) will be charged at the fifteen (15) person rate.
- Buffet and served events require a minimum of 1 ½ hrs. pre and post event for setup and tear down.
- Drop offs require 30 minutes pre and post event for setup and teardown of the space.
- All special dietary requests must be made three (3) business days prior to the event
- Any missing supplies, service ware, etc. will be charged to the event account at replacement cost, and will not be credited back if returned at a later date.
- In accordance with the contract between Earlham and Metz and to insure safety of food, no food may be taken from a catered event.
- It is important that counts are accurate to prevent waste.
- Some venues may require an additional service charge based on accessibility and lack of direct access to approved kitchen facility, etc. (exp. Baseball Field, Center for Science and Technology, Tyler Hall, etc).
- Cancellations – all cancellations must be done via email to Event Services at firstname.lastname@example.org and Metz Catering Manager.
- More than 3 business day notice – no charge
- Less than 3 business day notice – 25% of total
- Basic linens are included in catering charges, any additional items, or special colors (aside from black, white, or burgundy) must be requested two 2 weeks in advance. There is a charge for linen requests that do not require food.
Earlham Sponsored Fundraisers, bake sales, potlucks, etc. (non-Metz)
- Events where foods other than prepackaged snacks are being sold (hot dogs, pizza, popcorn, etc) must be supervised by someone who has current Indiana Department of Health certification
- No ‘from home’ type foods may be sold at concessions
- All concession sales must be approved by the Earlham Office of Events and Operations.
Take out Foods
- Green sustainable carryout containers are provided by Earlham Food Service. No other carry out containers are allowed to be used to take food from the dining hall.
- Individuals may not eat out of the green containers in the dining hall – they must be taken out
- No food may be removed from the dining hall unless it’s part of a to-go meal
- Refilling beverage bottles or other types of bottles at the soda system is not allowed by the Indiana State Health code
- As per contract with Metz, no food is to be removed from a catered event to insure food safety.
- Must come from Indiana Department of Health approved vendors only, and should be limited to low risk items only
- May not be mixed with Metz food items without prior approval
Questions regarding this policy may be directed to the Earlham Office of Events and Operations in the lower level of Runyan.
Contact information: Director of Events and Operations, Lynn Knight, email@example.com, 765-983-1294