Textbooks are located on the West side of the store. They are arranged on the shelves alphabetically by department, then numerically within the department. The first book for each course is on top of the shelf card, which lists all the titles needed for the course. The others follow as listed. Each course will be marked by its own shelf card. Earlham School of Religion and Bethany Theological Seminary courses also have their own locations.
Students will have the ability to choose books for each class online from Earlham Campus Store web site — store.earlham.edu. The Earlham Campus Store web site allows students to look at new, used and rental options from a variety of online textbook retailers such as Amazon and Chegg. Students can compare prices and purchases on exactly what they need based on their book adoptions.
Advantage of buying textbooks at the Campus Store:
- You know you are getting the exact editions and package that the instructor has ordered.
- The Campus Store also absorbs the shipping costs.
- Many titles are available used at 3/4 of the new book price.
When a Title You Need Has Run Out
Please check with a staff person to make certain there aren't any copies elsewhere in the store. If not, the Campus Store offers a special order service, free of charge. Simply fill out the special order card and when the book arrives in the store, we notify you via email. We will hold your book at the register for 48 hours, after which time, the book will be placed on the course shelf for general purchase.
Reserving Texts Online
You can purchase your textbooks on the Campus Store's website with the choice of having them shipped to you or held at the store for pick-up. The latter option requires no excess shipping fees and helps avoid the long lines during the first week of classes.
Should you change classes, or are considering several different ones, course books are returnable during the first week of classes. The requirements are:
- You must have your original receipt;
- Book must be in original condition (unmarked if new and shrink-wrapped if applicable);
- Refund is given in original method of purchase (if paid in cash refund comes in cash); and
- Use return window in west alcove of Runyan Center.
During finals week of Fall and Spring semesters, the Campus Store has a used book buy-back period. Book buy-back dates and locations are posted around campus in the weeks preceding finals week.
Other Available Merchandise
The Campus Store carries the Monday through Friday issues of Richmond's local paper, The Palladium-Item on the day of publication. In addition, the Campus Store has:
- School supplies: competitively priced notebooks, folders, blank disks & CDs, highlighters, flash-drive, and pens — some imprinted with Earlham's logo. Also see us for Ethernet cables and power strips.
- Health and beauty aids: cough drops and over-the-counter medicines, shampoo/conditioner, soap, toothpaste and tissues, and many other supplies.
- Candy and snacks
- Earlham College clothing and memorabilia: find T-shirts, sweatshirts and hats to show off your school spirit.
General merchandise is returnable with receipt as long as they are still carried in the store or if the item is defective. Clearance items are non-returnable.
The college does not allow students to charge Campus Store purchases to their Earlham student accounts. The Campus Store accepts cash, personal checks in the exact amount of the purchase, travelers checks, and VISA, Mastercard and Discover. Money orders and checks need to be made out to Earlham College and credit cards must be in the student's name. Also, a Campus Store debit account (using the student's Earlham-issued identification card) can be set up to purchase textbooks and all other materials available in the Campus Store. Balances over $10.00 will carry over from one year to next and will be refunded at the end of the senior year.
Charges and Discounts for Faculty and Staff
Personal Charges: Total purchases of no less than $5.00 can be charged to the employee's personal account. Monthly billing is done by the Accounting Office and payments should be made to them.
Discounts: All faculty, staff, their families, retirees and trustees of Earlham College, ESR and BTS are entitled to a 20% discount storewide except for merchandise reduced for sale, newspapers, and gift certificates. Course books will receive a 10% discount.
Faculty and staff members are asked to identify themselves to Campus Store personnel when requesting discounts for personal purchases. If necessary, presentation of a College or Seminary ID card will be sufficient. (Not all faculty and staff personnel are known to all the Campus Store staff.)
Departmental Charges: Purchases can be charged directly to the department. At the time of purchase you will need to know the name and account number to be charged.
Departmental Discounts: Purchases by academic departments or administrative offices will be granted :
- General Merchandise 20% discount.
- Course books 10% discount.
- Clearance or sale items do not receive the discount.
Desk Copy Information
Publishers expect desk copy requests to come directly from the faculty person, not the Campus Store. This can be done on department letterhead or on the Desk Copy Request Form available from the Campus Store.
When the requested desk copy does not come in time, the Campus Store can help the faculty member by supplying a copy of the book from our shelves. In such a case, the book should be charged to the respective department (not to a personal account) and when the desk copy comes in and is brought to the store, the account will be credited. To get credit, desk copies must be returned to the Campus Store within the term they are used, and must be new without any markings (cannot say "desk copy" or "complimentary"). Used copies must be returned by the fifth week of classes due to wholesalers' requirements. To issue credit correctly, when returning desk copies, we need to know when desk copies were taken and what department was charged.
Cancellation and Late Request of Course Titles
When a text title or the entire course is canceled after the books have been ordered and shipped by our vendor, the Campus Store's policy is to bill the department or professor for the round-trip shipping costs plus any penalties charged by the publisher. (The Campus Store will absorb the expense of all the staff time involved.)
Similarly, when it becomes necessary to process a late faculty request to assure books being here in time, the increased costs for rush shipping and handling will be the responsibility of the department involved.
It is assumed by the Campus Store that individual faculty members will have cleared these charges with the Department Chairperson.
Permission to Copy Materials
It is the responsibility of the professor who uses copyrighted materials to get the necessary permissions and pay the royalties.
We recommend that Earlham's Campus Services do the copying. When you take in your originals you can discuss the format and binding to be used and, if we are to sell the material, ask them to charge the copying costs and deliver the finished items directly to the Campus Store. We will then calculate a selling price based on the copying costs, any royalty fees, plus 25% of the selling price for the Campus Store's services. Just be sure to let us know that the job is in the works so that we can plan accordingly.
United Parcel Service (UPS) Shipments
The Campus Store currently has a contract with the United Parcel Service for daily pick-up. We make this service available to all departments, faculty and staff throughout the year. Since the Campus Store cannot provide staff time to box your packages, please bring them ready to ship and pay special attention to the following requirements and restrictions:
- The label will reflect the Campus Store as the return address, since we will handle any problems and claims.
- UPS will not accept any packages with wrapping paper on the outside. They require sturdy cartons. Mark out any old labels and addresses if recycling a box.
- Please use package sealing tape (not masking tape, duct tape, or Scotch tape which come loose in cold weather). Also avoid using string; it gets caught in their machinery.
- No package should be over 70 pounds or 130 inches in length and girth combined.
Your cost will be the actual shipping charge plus $2.50 for each package. The Campus Store will not assume any liability but will be responsible for shipping your package within 24 hours (excluding weekends). In case of a lost shipment, we will institute a UPS tracer and claim. Payment is due at time of shipment. Shipping charges may be applied to departmental and personal accounts.
Other details about United Parcel Service you may want to consider:
- It is a fast, safe and dependable way for shipments under 70 pounds per box. Packages are fully traceable.
- Every package is automatically insured by UPS up to $100.00 in value. Additional insurance can be purchased.
- All UPS services including Next Day Air, 2nd Day Air and 3 Day Select are available from the Campus Store.
The Campus Store does not receive incoming UPS shipments for departments or individuals; these are delivered to the on-campus Post Office.