Students applying to Quaker Fellows must complete a two-part application. Applications to Quaker Fellows are due by February 15, 2017.
Consider the essay prompts. Send your responses to email@example.com.
- Include your name, email address and phone number with your responses.
- Please respond to the following three questions regarding the three focus areas of Quaker Fellows: community, leadership and spirituality. Each response should be approximately 300-500 words, and should address at least two questions from each focus area below.
- Community: What does “community” mean to you? What do you consider to be your community or communities? What expectations do you have of community life? Can you describe a time when you have contributed to your community? Can you describe a time when you have received from your community? Is there a time in which you have navigated a struggle in your community? If so, how did you navigate it and how did you see your community respond?
- Leadership: What does leadership mean to you? How do you view leadership? How do you express leadership? When you think about your mentors or role models, how do they express leadership? Do their examples hold meaning for you? Please keep in mind that we see the potential of leadership in each person, expressed in a variety of ways.
- Spiritual: How does Quakerism/your spirituality play a part in your daily life? In your context, what do you appreciate most about Quakerism? What do you find most challenging about Quakerism/your faith tradition? Are there aspects of Quakerism that you would like to learn more about? Are there any spiritual practices or questions that particularly guide you in your life?
Please respond to the final essay question in approximately 300-500 words:
Why do you want to be part of the Quaker Fellows program?
Have a recommendation letter sent to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. This can be from a religious leader, youth group organizer, or another adult with whom you’ve worked in group settings. Give them the following information as a prompt:
“Thank you for recommending a student to the Quaker Fellows program at Earlham College. The program is designed for young adults who are serious about serving their communities, developing tools for social transformation and living a life grounded in the Spirit. In your letter, please address what you’ve witnessed regarding the student in group settings — including how they interact with others and fulfill leadership roles — as well as relevant aspects of their spiritual life that you are familiar with.”
If you have any questions please contact:
Director of the Newlin Quaker Center