Carpenter — Facilities
April 26, 2019
Earlham College invites applications for the position of Carpenter in the Facilities Department. This is a full-time (40 hours per week, 52 weeks per year), hourly staff position. The starting rate for this Facilities Level 3 position is $13.14 per hour, with an increase to $13.29 per hour upon successful completion of 90-day introductory period. Compensation also includes a benefits package.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Builds/maintains a variety of furniture items, cabinetry and furnishings.
- Coordinates work activities for the purpose of completing projects/work orders efficiently.
- Installs variety of built items and or construction materials for the purpose of completing projects/work orders within established time frames.
- Maintains job-related equipment (e.g., shop equipment, hand and power tools, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring the availability of materials required to perform job functions.
- Prepares various written documents (e.g., estimates, drawings, requisitions, etc.) tracks labor hours, expenses and completed (labor) work orders.
- Procures materials for specific work orders/projects (e.g., orders, purchases, requisitions etc.) to ensuring the availability of materials required to complete work assignments.
- Remodels office and workspace (e.g., partitions, paneling, walls, doorways, etc.) to assure the utilization of space and addressing cosmetic and/or safety concerns.
- Repairs furniture, floor plates, cabinets, ceilings, walls, ramps, sheds and stairways.
- Responds to emergencies and/or identified potentially hazardous conditions to resolve safety issues.
- Transports work equipment and materials required for assigned project.
- Plastering, paint work and other minor touch-up work as necessary.
- Installs/repairs windows, blinds and doors.
- Repairs and maintains roof gutters; completes minor roof repairs.
- Assists other personnel as may be required for the purpose of ensuring an efficient and effective work environment. (e.g., assists with moves, set-ups furniture moves and special functions-commencements, homecoming, new student orientation and snow shoveling.)
- Working supervisor of assigned student labor.
- Performs other duties as assigned by supervisors.
Experience & Qualifications
- A high school diploma or GED certificate and/or targeted job related education.
- Five years of job-related experience with increasing responsibilities; technical certificate is preferred.
- Specific knowledge of use and maintenance of job-related tools and equipment, safety practices, standard carpentry practices, reading blueprints and drawings, and applicable building codes.
- Ability to work with a diversity of individuals/and or groups.
- Ability to utilize a variety of types of job-related equipment.
- Ability to adapt to changing work priorities, attentiveness to details, deadlines, and working with constant interruptions.
- Ability to work under limited supervision using standardized practices and/or methods; provide information and/or advise others.
- Physical dexterity: the ability to lift large or bulky objects up to 50 lbs. unassisted is required.
- Be available for on-call coverage, weekend and special events, and work non-scheduled overtime as required.
- Maintain a current and valid driver's license at all times.
- Meet all Earlham College requirements for operating vehicles and equipment at all times.
Please send a letter of interest, resume, and contact information for three references as a single electronic file to:
Human Resources Office
801 National Road West
Richmond, IN 47374-4095
The review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Application Form for Hourly Staff Positions
Earlham College is an Equal Opportunity Employer that seeks applications from candidates who contribute to diversity in terms of race, ethnicity, age, religious affiliation, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, and veteran status, among other distinctions and contributions. As a College with a Quaker identity, Earlham also is eager to solicit applications from members of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers).
Earlham utilizes E-Verify to confirm employment eligibility for all newly hired employees within the United States.