General Maintenance Worker — Facilities
February 19, 2019
Earlham College invites applications for the position of General Maintenance Worker in the Facilities Department. This is a full-time (40 hours per week, 52 weeks per year), hourly staff position with an FLSA-non-exempt status. The starting rate for this Facilities Level 2 position is $12.13 per hour, with an increase to $12.28 per hour upon successful completion of 90-day introductory period. Compensation also includes a benefits package.
The General Maintenance Worker assists building maintenance trades and grounds personnel in their duties. This position is under the direct supervision of the Building, MEP or Grounds Trades Supervisors.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Performs preventive maintenance tasking as assigned.
- Receives and delivers large packages to locations throughout campus; packs and crates outgoing shipments.
- Moves material to and from storage, loading and storage areas, student rooms or offices using hand truck or forklift; stores stock material in appropriate storage locations.
- Conducts campus office moves and furniture relocations; leads in-house and contracted moving crews.
- Drives delivery vehicle to pick up and deliver supplies and materials.
- Participates in physical inventories.
- Completes supply runs for parts needed by maintenance trades and grounds, as needed
- Maintains assigned storage facilities in a clean and orderly condition.
- Assists in special events or maintenance / repair projects as assigned.
- Performs other duties and related work as may be required from time to time.
- Filling in for department administrative assistant
- Snow and ice removal.
- Functional supervision of student employees.
Experience & Qualifications
- A high school diploma or GED certification is required, plus any combination of education, training and professional work experience in one or more of the building trades that displays the ability to perform the duties/responsibilities listed.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively use a variety of hand and power tools, operate a forklift and other necessary machinery.
- Ability to work both inside and outside (including inclement weather).
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs., and move heavy objects and equipment safely alone or as part of a team.
- Must be safely able to climb ladders unassisted to heights of 30 feet.
- Must have a valid driver’s license at all times, and remain fully qualified to operate College-owned vehicles.
- Must be able to operate a forklift and material handling equipment.
- Physical dexterity and hand-eye coordination are both important.
- Ability to respond to work call-ins outside of normal working hours, including nights, weekends or holidays.
- Ability to work with a minimum of direct supervision.
- Ability to work well as a member of a single or multi-trade team.
Qualified Earlham employees wishing to be considered among the applicants for this position should notify their supervisors and the Human Resources Office promptly.
All applicants, whether or not they are current employees, should send a letter of application; resume; and the name, position title, email and phone number for three professional references in a single PDF or MS Word file to:
Human Resources Office
801 National Road West
Richmond, IN 47374-4095
The review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Application Form for Hourly Staff Positions
Earlham College is an Equal Opportunity Employer that seeks applications from candidates who contribute to diversity in terms of race, ethnicity, age, religious affiliation, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, and veteran status, among other distinctions and contributions. As a College with a Quaker identity, Earlham also is eager to solicit applications from members of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers).